Wish me luck.....Now with Pics!

KP nut

I'd rather be riding.
Dec 22, 2008
I've arranged a jumping lesson with my YO who used to be a pro show jumper (about 40 years ago!) I had a lesson with her years ago and came off when my horse refused then cat jumped. I've been nervous ever since of jumping and have never gone back to the jumping lessons. Until now. Gulp. But its a great yard for jumping with a big variety of jumps and fortnightly comps. So time for big girl pants......

It will be fab , and you will feel so pleased you put on your big girl pants afterwards. IMO there's nothing like doing something, a personal challenge just to prove to yourself your capable of doing something that you lost confidence in even if before it seems daunting afterwards you will be looking forward to your next jumping lesson. x

Reactions: KP nut
Well I felt physically sick before the lesson but once I was in I was ok...

I told my RI that my ambition is to jump a 60cm course. She said any courses over 50cm can have fillers and spreads so in the lesson we needed to do both and to jump 80ish. Oh help. That last fence is nearly 90 which is pretty big for us.

Anyway, we started small(ish) and got bigger gradually and Zak was great. He is never going to set the world alight in the jumping arena but he is honest and tries his best. Love him! So relieved and so pleased. Determined to keep this up. Watch this space......

Some pics: Apologies to Zak for my terrible style: Pointing down toes, bent arms, arse in the air - oh well at least there's plenty of room for improvement
:p:p

20150704_125228_010 (2).jpg 20150704_125656_005(2).jpg 20150704_130251_024(2).jpg 20150704_130426_010(2).jpg 20150704_130426_015(2).jpg

Last edited:
Brilliant KP. God I wish I could do that. As soon as becca starts popping over 1 she gets all giddy and either spooks at all the monsters or bucks in excitement lol
I keep saying I'm gonna have some jumping lessons. Mebby my next holidays I will. [emoji6]
But you look fab.

Looks likely are having fun. I am a bit surprised to see the the RI set up the last two jumps incorrectly though.

I can't see a gap between the red and blue blocks. If you knocked the pole on the blue block it doesn't look as if it would roll to the floor.
Could be the angle of pic but there should always be a pole gap space.

You must be so pleased with yourself and Zak. I love the pics, bet you had great fun, are you going to book another lesson? x

Yes I'm having one a month from now on. I discovered that I am hopelessly unbalanced. She had me doing an exercise where I had to trot down a line of poles with my bum out of the saddle, hands off his withers and totally balanced over my feet with my legs wrapped round him ready to press on or ease off to control pace. I couldn't believe how crap I was! I kept falling back into the saddle or having to grab at mane.:rolleyes: So practicing that is my homework till next time.

I am determined to improve. I used to love jumping, but a couple of falls put me off - one of which involved the horse falling and me breaking ribs. Plus I've been more nervous generally since having kids.

In theory every jump pole should be able to fall off forwards when knocked - in the first of the spread photos, the top pole is on the takeoff side of the red block and wouldn't be able to come off if Zak clouted it. If the pole can't come off in the direction the horse is jumping you risk taking a tumble should the pole trip them up. So on those blocks the pole should always be placed on the landing side. Doesn't matter though - you both look great & Zak seems to be having fun! You already have a nice position for someone who isn't used to jumping and as long as you aren't hindering the horse there's nothing to worry about. Although going on the first two photos I would suggest your stirrups are a little long for jumping, it would be easier to balance over the jumps if they were a bit shorter and it looks like you were having to "stand" in the stirrups when you went over. Lots of trotting and cantering in forward seat / jumping position will help too. It sounds like you have a good supportive instructor who understands that you have goals but aren't necessarily going to rush to reach them, and it seems you have a very willing partner in Zak - he has Happy Ears here!

Looking good! I like the hedge/foliage jump! I didn't know that about having a space for the pole but it makes sense now you say it!

You will be back into it in no time, I miss jumping, it was the one thing I really enjoyed but hopefully once a bit more schoolings in place we can start working over poles. Ive taken part in other disiplines but sj IMO was the most fun. As for the broken ribs, I have total empathy I remember being laid on the settee with a GP saying it was broken ribs and it would fix itself, it was torture I couldn't breathe without pain:( As for children I do think they change things, I think you risk access more when you have children that need ferrying about and looking after, I suppose its understandable and I know I do. I bet your girls are very proud of you and Zak.x

newrider.com