Wish me luck...

horseygal90

Going
Aug 27, 2004
Just had an email from my Uni RC telling me that team trials are on Wednesday :D so good luck and vibes from 11 - 1 would be greatly appreciated! There's 15 'newbies' trying out and then the girls who were in it last year as well, so not sure of my chances. But hey, got to try!

I'm a little :s about it at the mo though, call backs are on Friday 11 til 1 - Guess when my only two lectures on Friday are?! 11 til 12 and 12 til 1! Bloody hell, couldn't have got it better if I tried. I've emailed them going 'Help!' so will see what they say! (I'm going to be very annoyed if they just write me off because of it!)

ETA - Meant to put this in Cafe :eek: Mods?!

Well I've got a stinking cold at the minute too - I've got through one box of tissues in one day :eek: Not good. Hopefully it'll be gone by Weds!

Just enjoy yourself!

I got onto the Edinburgh team in 2004 - I was reserve after the trials and gave up any hope of competing, and then 2 weeks later got the call asking me if I still wanted to be on the team - YAY! At that point I hadn't ridden properly for 3 years ( a few random lessons here & there), so was VERY nervous at trials and everyone looked a whole lot more experienced. But someone saw something in me and for that I'm very grateful. I had a great year!

I haven't ridden in three weeks, and the last thing I rode was a HiPo with the strangest canter ever... I'll probably get on their nice fancy warmbloods and make an a*se of myself by falling out the side door or something :D

They've emailed back and said that if I get called back they'll rearrange the time for me on Friday so :D I'm quite excited about this, lol. Any ideas what kind of thing they'll be doing? It'll only be about 45 mins riding I think.

Good luck, I'm going to be trying out for the Uni riding club soon. I also have "Freshers flu" it is rubbish, I can't stop shivering but I've got a huge temperature, oh the joys of other peoples germs.

Erm, not got a clue what they'll be asking us to do! I guess it'll be a group assesment style lesson on Wedsnesday, if I get called back then maybe some jumping on Friday. They compete in BUSC (?) - The uni team trials. It's a simple walk trot (small amount of) canter dressage test and then a course of jumps of 2 ft 6. Unless you're the home team you're riding horses that you've only just met.

Right, heading off now, nose still streaming!

Hopefully I can get some sympathy votes if it all goes up the swanney, lol. :D

Our team trials are next wed.

We are asked to ride two different horses. One schoolmaster horse followed by a more 'challenging' ride.

You will be selected for the team if you can show you can adapt from one type of horse to another. This is because the BUCS competitions consist of you going to various riding schools round your region and riding all kinds of horses. You will never have sat on these horses before and so how you handle them and get them round a dressage test contributes to your final mark.

If you are a fantastic rider of your own horse it doesn't necessarily mean you will make the team, however someone who has ridden in a riding school environment and ridden all types of horses will probably be at an advantage.

We weren't asked to jump at our trials though, only flat work. Basic walk, trot and canter. Try to get your neddie working in an frame though as this will bump you right up!

I was on the team last year and it was a lot of fun. Good luck :)

Well I have returned...

TBH it wasn't much of a trial, they had four school ponies in who they let us pootle about on. Brief was just to do some simple flat work, try and get them in an outline. I rode a lad called Gavin, sweet boy but a little ploddy, not too bad though! I'm a little disappointed with how my little groups trial went, pretty much all the others either got asked to switch horses half way through or some kind of outside help, we didn't get either. I only got one canter because as soon as I was finished he told us to cool them down ready for the next people... Gavin was a nice ride but so stiff and the only way to get him into an outline was to just saw away and I wasn't going to do that! We didn't have any shape at all so I don't think I'll be on the team or even called back tbh. We'll see though.

Just checked emails, nope, definatly not in.

They said in the emails that 'if they see significant improvement from riders they may find themselves on the team anyway' - So basically, we were all crap apart from the 8 they picked so they've got to shape us up :D

newrider.com