Wondering if to start strip grazing

Mr Ed

Mar 1, 2009
Ed's a good weight at the moment - around 458kgs. He's not fat, but I would prefer he gets no bigger :wub: It's always a battle :cry:

He will be stabled for an other 5/6 weeks overnight and is out from 8.30 until around 5.00 each day. Athought he's currently ridden 4/5 times a week, so his grazing is reduced from 8 1/2 hours a day, to probably and average of 6-7 hours.

He has 10-12 lbs of hay overnight (in small holed haynets, cuz he eats fast :wink:) and when he comes in at the evening, he has a large cup of FF, various supplements and a lonesome carrot :happy:

He lives in a herd of four. And we moved on Saturday, to a field that has been rested for the last 6 weeks (althought well and truly munched down by the other herd at that point). I would guess the field is 3-4 acres and they'll be on it for another 6 weeks, until we move to the next rested field :furious:

The grass is short, but we've had some warm spells in recent weeks and I'd say it's looking green. And, of course it's going to grow much more rapidly once we enter March. I'm wondering weather to section Ed off now, so he's starts to be restricted as the more rapid growth comes through. Anyone else started to strip-graze/or section off??

(He's more than happy to live within his own little section of the field, not bothered at all).

I would chick, I think you were right about some of Frank's stiffness being due to the grass :furious: Better too early than too late I reckon.

It's forecast wet and warmish all week btw

Yeah, just been looking at the forecast for the rest of this week... wet and getting warmer = lots of grass growth :furious:

I'm going to bite the bullet and get than fence up within the next couple of days.. bless him. I spend my whole life removing the thing he loves most :help:

I haven't started restricting as yet,but mainly because current field is only a temp winter one and will be moving back to summer one within next 4-6 weeks,and I am to lazy to start moving all the fencing when will be taking it all down soon anyway:redface:.

I certainly intend to restrict and manage once back in summer paddock (which has barely stopped growing since I left it BTW,bl**dy lush Devon pasture!!),and with the help of my trimmer have even devised a track system so hopefully should be able to manage him all summer on that with minimal effort,will be muzzling if necessary as well though,not that silly pony knows what to with muzzle on other than stand around looking like Eeyore:giggle:

I think if you feel Ed needs to not gain anymore weight and you also know he is going onto relativley better grass than he has been on then yes I think I would be either restricting grass or limiting turnout.

Does anyone know anything about longer term weather forecasts BTW?? Is spring definitely here now,or are we set for any more wintry weather??

I'm keeping a very close eye on my 2. They are both still loosing weight at the moment *touch wood this continues* so I'm not restricting mine at the moment. With the ground so wet I'm looking to keep mine on as much land as possible to prevent mud and protect the grass.

The moment I think they aren't loosing I'll have to start strip grazing. I'm still not feeding hay and they are still both out 24/7 rugless. I go on when their condition is no longer dropping off. That's the sign to start restricting.

It's quite difficult to compare as we're all on slightly different regimens!!

Ed is stabled from 5.30pm to 8.30pm each night (until end March) so that limits his grass intake to a considerable extent. This grazing is much reduced on days he's ridden or out in the trailer.

I will double check his weight tomorrow... if dropped slightly I'll leave, if the same I'll leave but measure him every 48 hrs, if he's gained the fence will be up before you can say Jack Robinson!! :tongue:

newrider.com