work horse much help needed

Skye94

Most accident prone horse owner
Jan 6, 2006
Near Aberdeen - Laurencekirk
ok so at work there is a newish horse called Skippy, 16.1hh belgium warmblood(but looks like a TB pony). he is 13 years old and has a slightly unknown past. My boss bought him nearly 2 months ago, from a dealer who seems ok. We know he has done BSJA but he has no money on his card. When my boss tried him, the dealers groom rode him first, and it was a tiny arena with a HUGE brick wall all around it. The groom got on, walk trot and canter if even a 20m circle. Then small oxer, medium oxer and a 1.30m oxer and that was it. No warm up or showing any flatwork.

Skippy dosnt have a slow gear. His walk is 100MPH his trot can be irratic and he would just canter all day if he could. So boss was told to ride him in rubber mullen pelham, and then when he was settled a mullen hanging snaffle. Its obvious he has been in draw reins a lot as in walk he just tucks his head in. trot he goes fast and throws fits(head up, nearly rearing, mouth open) whenever a contact is taken for a long time. flash dosnt work and canter is the same. goes well for a while then flips!! jumping is impossible as he goes into it takes a huge leap then when he lands his head is in the air and no brakes or no steering.

Tried him in a myler comfort snaffle, ordinary snaffle, double reins, roundings, everything!! His back gets done every 6 weeks and his teeth have been done and were fine, shoes are fine and saddle has just been fitted. We think he likes no bit but he just nose dives and goes soooooo fast!! can anyone think if a dr. cook bridle wold work, or the new rambo bitless bridle?

My boss has nearly had enough and i cant blame him. sorry its a long post, but ANY feedback is much appreciated:eek:

First thing that springs to mind is everyone needs to chill out with this chappy.

Anatomy and physiology all seem fine so just take it slow with him in suggested bit first. Pelhams are great in right hands. Sounds like he's been from pillar to post. He sounds eager to please but someone needs to take things back to basics and take things at a steady pace, doesn't matter what bit and start again - slowly and in small bitesize chunks of exercise of 20 mins at a time. If evidence of draw reins then go back to snaffle but again, step down the pace. Go back to walk, trot with light contact. He needs to learn to carry his own head comfortably without being held in place. No jumping for at least 6 weeks then introduce canter on the lunge only until good canter pace developed.

What is the intention for him? Why is he at your yard?

my boss is an amatuer bsja rider. he has 2 other horses, one that was a puissance horse and the other a stallion. my boss wants to go out an compete but he cant control Skippy. he is an ok rider, but people have told him that skippy is not the horse for him. my boss says you cant ride skippy with any leg contact or he shoots off. i have rode skippy and you could feel the horse was tense and needed a chill pill. but i worked him for 45mins mostly in sitting trot. and used lots of inside leg. we did leg yeilding, alomost a half pass and he didnt seem anything like what he is like with my boss. i also popped him over a jump in trot and he did nothing that he does with my boss. my boss wont sell skippy and he will just keep going on with him even if its being detrimentle to the horse as he thinks it will get better. so while skippy is still here, i am trying to find a way that he is more happy ( which he def was with the hackamore) and my boss has more control.

Sounds like you are more in tune with this horse than your boss. His eye is on the goal but maybe you can help him slow down with Skippy.

Break it down to two 20 min sessions a day every other day or so working on rhythm and relaxation for Skippy. Walk and trot in light contact alternating between lungeing and riding. Work on cavalettis in a circle in lunge to. This'll teach him to pace himself. Slow him down if he shoots off. Use your voice - ask him to steady down. Once your boss gets on and shortens the reins Skippy will go into fast mode again so you'll have to work with him.

He really needs to work on counting strides with his jumps. No point just "point and shoot" with him, not if he catleaps most of the time.

whatever bit you use just learn to give more than take and things will settle down with time. I wish you luck esp with you boss's attitude. I wish Skippy all the best! Glad you are there to help!!

newrider.com