working at a stables

vgilchrist

Mar 4, 2002
Nottingham/London
Visit site
as part of my vet course i need to work at a stables for 2 weeks and i'm going in july, what kind of things do i need to take (boots/jodhpurs etc) and has anyone got some good advice so i don't make a complete nonce out of myself! (i used to ride and have recently started again but don't know much about horse care)

Wellies or rubber riding boots with toe protection (they'll come in useful when you go on large animal visits later). A couple of pairs of dark coloured jodhs ( cheap but decent ones like the Dublin Hawksbury ones, about £15 each). T-shirts, jumpers. Warm waterproof coat. Riding hat. Riding gloves.

Get a couple of books out of the library that deal with general horse management or treat yourself to a couple of the books that are produced for the BHS stage exams. The Stage I & II books will give you all the basics you need in an easy to read format.

contacting the stable that you are going to and asking couldn't hurt either.:D :D :D

if u do get boots with toe protection make sure it isnt metal! my friend had a pair of steel toe cap boots when i was younger and a horse trampled her foot, the metal borke and she had 2 of her toes cut off! sorry for the gorry details but id rather have a broken toe than no toe!

I've heard horror stories about metal toed boots too....
a horse trod on the metal cap bit and it got dented and was pressing down on the girls toes until the ambulance came and cut the boots off! ouch!!:eek:
You said you ride at the moment, why don't you ask your instructor for a lesson in Stable managment if you are worried?? I had one last week all about the hoof!!:D

newrider.com