Working Hunter - Help!

misskuke

May 12, 2009
Burgess Hill, West Sussex
Hi all,

I have had my pone on loan for about 3 months now and I seem to be pretty much trying something new every time I compete :confused:

Our local RC is running a show mid-July and they have a Working Hunter class which I'd like to enter.

So.. What do I need to know?

I have a brown tweed jacket which I hate the colour of & its 2nd hand :( and beige jodhs. How important is it to have canary ones?!

Any advice re horse & rider turnout and routine would be massively appreciated :)

xx

Beige is fine

Canary is not correct for a working hunter class.

Also good if you have a cane which matches your tack and don't forget to wear gloves and a tie (not a stock!)

For working hunter you will need the following

Rider: Tweed Jacket, shirt and tie, beige jods/breeches, long boots/jod boots with clips.

Horse: saddle with brown thin numnah and brown girth. You can use boots and martingale for when you are jumping and during the showing you can wear a martingale if you wish.

When I use to show (it also depends on the judge) the routine use to be this.

You would follow competitors round in walk then do trot and canter to rear of the line. You would be then pulled into a line up and asked to perform individual shows in walk, trot, canter and gallop on both reins. Once all have done the individual shows you are asked to take the saddle off and walk and trot your horse in hand infront of the judge.

You are then asked to call leave the ring so that you can jump a course of rustic fences. Then you will be called into be placed.

The last time I showed affiliated was some time ago so things may of changed then, but I think they are more easy going on things like wearing martingales and boots etc

Hope this helps

Cool, thank you :)

I have just been researching and seen the following.. Is this correct?

* Mane should be plaited, tail pulled. Heels trimmed - HE IS WELSH SEC D, IS THIS RIGHT?

* Double or pelham for open classes, snaffles for novices. If a rugby pelham is used, then a sliphead improves the look a lot. Plain browband and noseband. IS A PELHAM WITH ROUNDINGS OK, OR DUTCH GAG? ALSO ARE FLASH NOSEBANDS OK?

Sorry for all the questions! Maybe I should stick with what I know! x

Native type, it's fine to have them unplaited and au naturel

I think if you're going to use a pelham, you should have double reins. Dutch gag is not right for this kind of class.

Generally, the jumping class goes first and if you go clear, then you do an individual show.

This is me doing novice working hunter on my M&M - rules will depend on the show you go to. The class I did was combined horse and pony and although it was a novice class I rode my pony in his pelham as he is strong and it was the first class he had done so I wanted to be safe rather than sorry.

I kitted myself out as I would have done if I was entering a M&M class so he was correct for his type - I did not plait or trim him - as I show him in flat M&M classes.

Everyone jumps first and then depending on how many clears they have they either bring back all the clears if more than 6 and then they do a "go round" where you walk trot and canter in a group. The judge then pulls in the competitors in order of preference and then you do your individual show and you show walk trot and canter on both reins plus gallop on one rein. Then you might have to take the saddle off your horse and run it up in hand walk and trot and then the judge may place you.

If less than 6 clears judge may bring in some people who have had refusuals or fences down - sometimes there may be no clears!

whp2.jpg

I saw a picture of whp champion in H&H - I think it was a HOYs winner and it was in a dutch gag so I think there is a some leeway on bitting but it probably depends on the show.

Native type, it's fine to have them unplaited and au naturel

I think if you're going to use a pelham, you should have double reins. Dutch gag is not right for this kind of class.

Generally, the jumping class goes first and if you go clear, then you do an individual show.

Cool, thank you :)

I have just been researching and seen the following.. Is this correct?

* Mane should be plaited, tail pulled. Heels trimmed - HE IS WELSH SEC D, IS THIS RIGHT?

* Double or pelham for open classes, snaffles for novices. If a rugby pelham is used, then a sliphead improves the look a lot. Plain browband and noseband. IS A PELHAM WITH ROUNDINGS OK, OR DUTCH GAG? ALSO ARE FLASH NOSEBANDS OK?

Sorry for all the questions! Maybe I should stick with what I know! x

YES dutch gags and flash nosebands are accepted in Working Hunter Pony

This is me doing novice working hunter on my M&M - rules will depend on the show you go to. The class I did was combined horse and pony and although it was a novice class I rode my pony in his pelham as he is strong and it was the first class he had done so I wanted to be safe rather than sorry.

I kitted myself out as I would have done if I was entering a M&M class so he was correct for his type - I did not plait or trim him - as I show him in flat M&M classes.

Everyone jumps first and then depending on how many clears they have they either bring back all the clears if more than 6 and then they do a "go round" where you walk trot and canter in a group. The judge then pulls in the competitors in order of preference and then you do your individual show and you show walk trot and canter on both reins plus gallop on one rein. Then you might have to take the saddle off your horse and run it up in hand walk and trot and then the judge may place you.

If less than 6 clears judge may bring in some people who have had refusuals or fences down - sometimes there may be no clears!

whp2.jpg

SO1 - I note you say you didnt trim your horse, but he looks quite sleek. My Welsh's legs are a bit feathery! Will this still be ok?! :)

No, he is a native so I would enter him in mountain and moorland classes (m and m) for these you do not plait, the ponies have to be in a natural state, with a full mane etc, hope this helps and good luck in your whp class!

If he's a native then turn him out as for M&M, but make sure he is gleaming and tidy. You can use pretty much anything tack wise (but must be workmanlike so no bling or colours, has to be discrete), but it cannot be removed for the show portion - the only items that can be removed are the boots.

While you can use most combination of bits/nosebands/martinagles, if the choice is between a simply tacked horse and one that has belt and braces on, the simply tacked one will win (normally).

He is lovely looking:)
If he jumps well then go for it.
As for his turn out. Defo natural as he's native. You can use whatever bit martingale etc, but if it comes down to a choice between two horses, the one with the most simplistic tack, ie snaffle no martingale, will win it.

I have worn canary jods for WHP, but beige ones are just as correct, my jacket is an old brown one too, and perfect for WH. Don't forget it is one of the more 'traditional' classes, as long as you both look smart, it doesn't matter if your jacket is 'up-to-date':)

Oh and forgot to mention, normally they do the jumping round first, your horse can wear boots for this round if needed, but they must be removed for the showing section. Also don't forge to have someone on hand to be your groom, as you will usually also have to strip your pony in the showing section, and trot them up in hand too, so always good to have someone to come into the ring wth you for this bit to help you brush the pony off, hold your tack, and help you tack back up again and get back on:)

Don't forget to enjoy yourself. Good luck.

Sorry to hi-jack but are you allowed to change tack between the jumping and the showing? I'm thinking of buying a horse that needs to jump in a pelham but works best on the flat in a snaffle, so would I be able to do a quick swap?

newrider.com