working hunter tack

~*sugarlump*~

rather be riding...
May 22, 2005
are grackles and running martingales allowed in WH?

and what colour does tack have to be?
would boots be allowed in the jumping section if pony was wearing studs (ie if ground was grass and wet)
would be local level only.

Boots are always ok for the jumping phase, must be removed for the showing. Martingales are fine but you can't change your tack between phases, so if you jump in a martingale you've got to show in one.
You can use a grackle but it may not show off the pony's head as well as a cavesson or even a flash. Brown, plain tack is better but at local level it shouldn't matter, I showed a horse in a tan Devoucoux event saddle and a black bridle and still came 6th (and I had only sat on him the day before!), they are quite lenient at local level. :)

are grackles and running martingales allowed in WH?

and what colour does tack have to be?
would boots be allowed in the jumping section if pony was wearing studs (ie if ground was grass and wet)
would be local level only.

Hi I have stewarded for a county working hunter judge and my daughters irish cob does working hunter all the time. You can use as many artificial aids and boots etc for thejumping part of the test but all these should be removed when doing your show part.

good luck, hope this helps :)

i was under the impression that they prefer a nice looking round, with not much 'extras' so if you wear *random gadget bleurgh* market harborough, martingale, grackle, gag, sheepskin noseband (ok ran out of ideas!) compared to a round in just a snaffle, i thought the snaffle wearer would get put up over "gadget king/queen" (no offence, i know that some horses need these items of tack i have no qualms about them been used)

For all Hunter classes the judges tend not to look favourably on 'gadgets' - especially the older ones are looking for how you would appear in the hunting field & not the showjumping arena.

As others have said stick with plain brown tack & a double or Pelham Bridle. You can use a martingale for W/H & plain boots for the jumping phase but the boots must be removed before the judging phase. If in doubt I'd always refer back to the rules that would apply for county shows & you won't go far wrong - the turnout bits are on page 14 Sports Horse Rule Book

tack-wise - safe and controlled is the most important thing, so if you need agrakle and martingale then wear them and do a good round. as said though, no tack changing is alowed between jumping and flat, except for taking boots off.

it's the kind of thing where, if you are clearly the best, you will win whatever tack, but if the judge is trying to decide between you and another who was in a cavesson, snaflfe and no martingale, you'll probably lose out.

Your Allowed Both The Grackle And The Martingale, The Boots Can Be Worn But Need Removing Before Conformation Is Judged.

A Grackle Is Usful If The Pony / Horse Has An Ugly Or Plain Head It Makes It More Interesting And Covers It Up More.

Hope That Helps .

Judges Probably Wont Look At The Tack , However Dark Brown Is Mostly Accepted. Also If You Are In Comtrol And The Horse IsComfortable In What Its Wearing Then The Overall Picture Will Be More Pleasing To The Judge.

This is really interesting as it's something I'm working towards doing with my mare.

The boots removal thing - what is you have to do your confirmation bit straight after your jumping? That is what happens at one of our local shows, you jump and then go straight onto confirmation phase in the jumping arena around the jumps.

newrider.com