Working hunter

Sarah & Axel

Feb 11, 2008
Manchester
My o/h has a 15.2/3 4yr old gelding who is showing promice over jumps and he was wanting to take him into working hunter classes but my o/h is too old to do most workers classes so can only do SHB classes. The max height of a jump is 3ft 9 as far as I am aware, not sure on the mas spread but my question is will the horse look too small? I know that the classes are open for horses from 14.2 up but I have never seen anything smaller that 16.2hh so he is worried he will be marked down for having a smaller horse

Help!!

Why is he too old? If horse 15.2, he should do small working hunter classes. 15.2hh is the max for a small WH so he would be the biggest in class. But at four years old, you should be starting off in novice WH classes.

Sorry should have said my o/h is too old for B.S.P.S working hunter classes.

The horse is 4 and he is now 15.2-3 so he won't be able to do small working hunter for ever, Also I have never seen a small workers class on show listings just, light, med, and heavy weight. I have seen small and large show hunters but he doesn't do that. I would even go so far as to say there haven't been very meny novive workers classes:eek:

Not sure whereabouts in Manchester you are but they're are loads of WH classes in this area and they all start pretty small.

This is the schedule for macc RC indoor WH show

Class 1 Absolute Beginners 2' - 2'3"

Class 2 Novice Pony (15hh and under) 2' 3"

Class 3 Intermediate Pony (15hh and under) 2'6" -2'9"

Class 4 Open Pony (15hh and under) 2'9" - 3'0"

Class 5 M&M (small breeds to jump first if sufficient entries) 2'3" - 2'6"

Class 6 Novice Horse (Over 15hh) 2'3" - 2'6"

Class 7 Intermediate Horse (Over 15hh) 2'9"

Class 8 Open Horse (Over 15hh) 3'0" - 3'3"

Urmston RC, Clifton and Kearlsey RC do them with similar classes, as does Prestbury, Glossop & District shows.

there's loads about for him to enter and they don't have nay age restrictions for pony heights, although you may find this if you want to compete at really high levels.

I would suggest going to Prestbury, Glossop and District as they're shows are qualifiers for festival of champions.

What breed is your o/h's horse cos if it's welsh or part bred he could do the welsh circuit ( i only know cos that's what a few who do the welsh circuit) and then go to the welsh championships which have HOYS qualifiers etc

Paddy is a welsh part breed but un regestered:mad: we are trying to get him regestered but I am finding it hard to get the information we need out of paddys old owner/ breeder :mad:

Well I would try looking at Welsh pony & cob web-site on their show page, they have info on all their shows and this maybe a good place to start for next season. A lot of the shows are for ridden and in hand classes only but you never know you might find something

I would try Ponies Uk classes. The novice is about 2'9 and the open is about 3'3. I used to do it on my mare who was just over 16h. Go give it a go. Also if you want to do the HOYS classes your horse would have to be registered with the SHB ( Sport Horse Breeding of Great Britain ).:)

If it was me I would be giving a four year old another year or so at the lower height classes before trying the HOYS classes as they are not just big but fairly spooky.

newrider.com