Working in an outline

cobbychic

Oct 21, 2008
Norfolk
Help!

How can I get my HW cob to work in an outline. He lacks impulsion and therefore if i do get him going forward he can be really on his forehand and not light in the mouth.

I really struggle to get him to work in an outline and wondered if there are any training aids i could use when ridden etc.....

Is it me??? am i not riding him correctly in order to get him moving from my leg?

I saw a HW cob the other day for sale who walked, trotted and cantered in an outline and even jumped in an outline!!!!

Will my lovely cuddly boy ever do that?

Any advise greatly appreciated.

First of all you've got to get him moving forward off the leg. Without that you'll never get him in a correct outline or off his forehand because to do either he needs to be pushing from behind.

The best advice I can give you is to get a good instructor to work with you for a while & forget using gadgets because in the long run they'll probably make things worse.

forwards impulsion is key. For the moment forget what his head is doing and concentrate on his paces. You are dealing with a difficult horse but he can do it.

If the cob you saw the other day was jumping in an outline then i would think that he has had his head fixed in a position with training aids and therefore was probabl false and exactly what you dont want.

As your paces improve and you get him going how you want off your legs, thats only when i would look at his head. As he is so heavy, you can lose your arms trying to work them correctly so i wouldn't be completely against training aids in your case but only once the rest is there first. My inclination would be towards a market harborough to help you to ENCOURAGE him in an outline (not force which is what some do) dont put it on tight but enough to take some of the work off you. Once he is gets it, you can take it off and work him correctly. The important thing is to never get to the stage where you are relying on any gadget or schooling aid. There's nothing wrong with using something to help you school but dont allow it to do the schooling for you. Good luck.

I have a heavy weight cob who will go on the forehand if allowed. if he is working correct though he is actually very light and manages to shock people ;)

Get him moving forward off your leg, dont drop your contact totally, but at the same time dont hold him, he has to do this himself. Do alot of halt- walk. Walk-trot transitions. Then halt - trot eventually and back again. Keep it interesting, cirles, poles, serpintines, diagonals. Leg yielding is a great help i feel.

Id get lessons though, someone elses eye to help you along if possible. It does make a difference!! But like sasca said, forget about his head. You want his legs t come under him and his muscles along his bum/back/neck to come into play.

I dont use gadgets with my lad but when he is listening and moving correct he can turn eyes!!!....WEHN lol. x

your cob will get there! mine can now do walk and trot in an outline and he still trys not to. you have to make him and he might not want to but if you let him win, then it will never happen. i have been working on him for 2 weeks and he is not nearly there but its already starting.... trust me your horse will come round. :)

As others have said - get the impulsion first.

I advise you start the schooling session by getting him off your leg. Don't worry about where his head is at all. Just get him going. If that involves you looking like a state dont worry, just get him comfortably forward. Only then should you worry about his outline :D

newrider.com