Wormers causing footyness??

Bobbin

Back in the saddle yeehaa
Feb 16, 2006
I just had a call from my EP trimmer asking if Bry had been wormed in the run up to xmas.

She had.

Apparently she's had 3 horses now that she trims that were all footsore and had had wormers just before it developed. More specifically tape wormers. The symptoms seemed to wear off after about a month in all 3 horses.

Does anyone know what type of wormer Equarall is? Just to really add to the mix though, I gave Bry another tapeworm wormer about 10 days ago on recommendation from the vet and a few days after she was quite footy again but now doesn't seem quite as bad, which is similar to the first wormer I gave her where she had the wormer on the Friday, went ok over the weekend and then was very bad the next time I rode her.

Am confuzzled, any thoughts?

eraquell is invermectin based.
i have never come across this before. i am about to worm my horses (today) with a moxidectin base. hope its not true for all wormers and horses. i can't see the connection :confused:

That's interesting that it is Invermectin based, I was reading an article the other day regarding the Vetinary Medicines / DEFRA and they are going to be asking for Invermectin to be removed as it has been proven that the toxins passed out by the horse cause genetic deformation problems in insects. We use panacur and equest system

I have used the E....... wormer mentioned on my 3 ponies and one of them developed laminitis.

I didn't think about it at first but then this happened a few times. So I actually didn't worm the affected pony at all for about a year. As my trio are a closed unit and I pooh pick regularly and the fields are grazed by sheep, the vet suggested my worning schedule didn't need to be so intensive.

I have now switched to using an organic wormer and so far no laminitis.

As far as I have read the wormers are quite toxic anyway and these toxins could trigger unwanted reactions as a consequence. It is a question of reading up about them thoroughy, understanding their function and using them wisely.

That's interesting that it is Invermectin based, I was reading an article the other day regarding the Vetinary Medicines / DEFRA and they are going to be asking for Invermectin to be removed as it has been proven that the toxins passed out by the horse cause genetic deformation problems in insects. We use panacur and equest system

would the article be on line somewhere... i want to show my RI.
that could be interesting if they ban it, there are quite a few wormers containing invermectin.

newrider.com