wormers

kaykell7

i love highlands
Jun 25, 2001
Visit site
i was just wondering what is the difference been powder wormers and paste is one more effective than the other etc i have always used paste what about everyone else

I used to use the powders for my old horse as she was a pain to get near her face with anything strange!I used to liquid 5 day guard in the winter too.Plus if I did get some in with a syringe she always managed to spit more of it out than I got in.I did manage to get away with Equest just before I sold her as the liquid/paste you syringe in turns to a liquid they cant spit out.
Since then I am using the Equest in a syringe.

Some wormers are in powder form (sachets), some come as a paste in a syringe and some (equine guard, for example) are a liquid which you use over 5 days in their feed (unless your horse is like mine and thinks you're trying to poison him, so you have to syringe it!)

They are all equally as effective - they contain the same ingredients. However, always check the dosage for your size horse - some larger horses will need two sachets or two pastes, depending on weight.

Powders also go into feeds.

Recently I had to resort to making a 'sandwich' with the latest wormer (a paste) as we kept losing half of it up the stable wall. So I wiped it off into a piece of bread, folded it over and he ate it! Marvellous!

Correction - ALL Wormers DO NOT contain the same ingredients!!! NOR do all wormers kill the same worms.

The powder wormers which seem to be still popular in the UK often have a single active ingredient which is effective against a single worm type only. This means that you may have to worm quite frequently with different powders to target - roundworms with one powder, tapeworms with the next etc etc and you will have to keep track of the different cycles.

Modern modern multi-wormers are usually paste, it is particularly important to be aware of the chemical you are using (not the Brand name) and rotate the chemicals on an annual or bi-annual basis to ensure that the worms do not become resistant to a single chemical type. Multi-wormers include ivermectin and moxidectin but these may still miss one type of worm, so check.

There isn't anything inherently more effective about paste vs powder - provided that it is the same CHEMICAL ie ivermectin paste vs ivermectin powder.

What's important is that the horse gets the correct dose. You can imagine that it may be easier to give your horse a single correct dose of paste once every 8 weeks rather than make sure he eats all his powder for 5 feeds! Esp if he throws his food around - how much got in? But that's a management issue and will depend upon you and your horse to decide.

A good trick for horses that don't like the paste - get a plastic syringe from the local chemist and fill it with molasses,sugar water,apple sauce or something he likes and give him a squirt each time you feed him for 10 days before his worming's due. By the time you swap it for the wormer - he'll open up and swallow like a pro!

For other horses, like mine, who can't imagine that you'd offer them anything other than food - a little treat afterwards will make up for any unpleasant taste.

For more information on worms and wormers check out Virtually Horses Worm Feature Article

Last edited:
On my old pony I had to use granules because he wouldn't let him nesr us with paste, we once tried putting the paste on bread and he just scraped off the wormer and ate the bread. I now use paste.
Tasha

Storing wormer in the fridge for 24 hours before use can lessen the taste - useful for wormers to be mixed into feed.

Also a mare I had who wouldn't tolerate syringes happily ate equest mixed with sugar beet water until dissolved and stirred into feed.

I find that each horse is a little different than the others when it comes to wormer- and for the difficult ones i put molasses in their mouth then shhot the wormer in, followed by an apple (chew and swallow!) I wish it would come in a pill form, then you could just shove it in a cookie and it would go straight down the hatch:)

Virtuallyhorses,

I think you misunderstood what I was trying to say - either that or I was unclear!

I meant that a paste/sachet, for example, panacur - would contain the same ingredient, not that every wormer on the market contains the same ingredients! And that whether you choose a paste or powder for that particular wormer doesn't matter, as they both do the same job.

If anybody has any doubts as to the type of wormer to use and at what time of year, do speak to your vet. Our vets produced our yard worming programme, which has proven to be very good and everyone sticks to it.

Sorry for any confusion by my last message, folks.

Chemical Rotation

cheers Piaffe. yep, paste, powder, liquid - doesn't matter as long as the right dose goes down at the right time :)

BTW For those folks out there who are trying to keep up with which chemicals to rotate each year or two just look for the common 'bits' of name

So if you're currently using a mectin family wormer e.g. ivermectin, moxidectin, abamectin ....anything that ends in 'ectin' you'll need to change to another family next time, like the 'OXis' (Oxifendazole and Oxbendazole) or the Pyrantels (palmoate, tartrate and embonate) there's no point changing from moxidectin to ivermectin because they're in the same family.

Tapeworms are a problem of course, because there's only Praziquantel but hopefully they'll come up with a new one before resistance is a real problem.

Last edited:
newrider.com