Worried about tomorrow..

MrA

Feb 8, 2012
I need to start getting ale used to crossing the road from his field onto the yard and back, mainly for the farrier and in winter if he needs to come in for any reason.

I've been putting it off to allow him to settle but I really must start practicing.

Ale can be very naughty to lead and try to run off. So I will be leading in a bridle and lunge line, hat and hi viz. He is great with traffic but I have this image of him getting loose on the road!!

Plan is to keep the gate from the field shut and just lead him up to that, see how he is. Then onto the road, if he gets too bolshy at this point I'm not sure whether it would be best to just head back to the field or to continue onto the yard. Once on the yard I plan to tie him up and let him have a munch on a haynet, give him a feed and then return him to his field once he's relaxed.

I've only got 2 weeks until the trimmer is coming and not sure how many times I will get to do this before then.

Any advice?

Ale, remember how worried you were about moving him? And remember how it turned out to be just fine? Well get that confident head out, stick your hat, gloves, boots etc on and just do it. If you start worrying you know he'll pick up on that, so stay relaxed and positive.
If you really think he'll be bratty do you have someone to walk with you? That might make you feel more comfortable.
Don't make a fuss with should I stop here, or maybe there, just handle him like you mean it, be positive and assertive, he'll be fine I bet, you may find the reason he's been a pain in the past was because he wasn't happy.

If he getts bratty when you get to the road, I wouldn't turn back to the field. I get the impression that Ale is a very clever pony and will soon get the idea that if he plays up he gets to go back to grazing. Result!

Good luck, you should have more confidence in yourself!

Just as a thought could you maybe feed before you cross the road - and just give him a Haynet At the yard so he dosent get into the routine of the crossing having a feast at the other side. If he really is bratish for you it could make him worse if he knows a tasty feed is across the road ?

Ale, remember how worried you were about moving him? And remember how it turned out to be just fine? Well get that confident head out, stick your hat, gloves, boots etc on and just do it. If you start worrying you know he'll pick up on that, so stay relaxed and positive.
If you really think he'll be bratty do you have someone to walk with you? That might make you feel more comfortable.
Don't make a fuss with should I stop here, or maybe there, just handle him like you mean it, be positive and assertive, he'll be fine I bet, you may find the reason he's been a pain in the past was because he wasn't happy.

Thank-you, yes I will try to just be confident and tell him to walk nicely, hopefully you are right and he will behave!

Reactions: Gimp
If he getts bratty when you get to the road, I wouldn't turn back to the field. I get the impression that Ale is a very clever pony and will soon get the idea that if he plays up he gets to go back to grazing. Result!

Good luck, you should have more confidence in yourself!

I did think that thanks, we will keep going and get to the yard it's only a short walk away. I'm sure he will be fine I just over think these things

Just as a thought could you maybe feed before you cross the road - and just give him a Haynet At the yard so he dosent get into the routine of the crossing having a feast at the other side. If he really is bratish for you it could make him worse if he knows a tasty feed is across the road ?

Very good point!! I shouldn't make a habit of him getting a feed on the yard. I only really want to bring him across for the trimmer, vet and anything else similar so It might only be once every 6 weeks. But knowing him he would remember the feed and rush to get across

The other thing that crossed my mind would be to take him over there maybe once or twice a week anyway, just so it's not all different routine once every 6 weeks or so, just lead him over, give him a quick brush, feet and a fuss and take him back maybe?

Reactions: carthorse and PePo
Lots of brave vibes coming. You will be fine, you're a capable horse person, I know you are. Just keep up the positivity with Ale and you'll be fine. As already mentioned might be an idea to have company just for the first few times?

Yes he was so good when you moved there's no reason to think he won't be going to the yard too, perhaps a few bits of diced carrot in your pocket to get his attention on you the first time or two will help with his focus :p

It sounds like you have a sensible plan in place :) I like Jessey' suggestion for just building it into his routine, so sometime he goes other for a 'reason' other times to just be made a fuss of.

I'm assuming you can pick a quiet time to lead him over too, at least for the first few times.

I'm sure it'll be fine though :)

If you see him every day. work on the leading - lead halt walk halt with turns and backing up. No road no gate. My experience is that all horses and ponies that come to be led very relaxed by their owner or members of staff, benefit from a lesson in good manners. They wont give good behaviour unless the y understand that it is required. Just had to teach a lovely horse to lead into a stall nicely BHS style. No one had bothered with this for years. Had a conversation about this a month ago with senior instructor and decided to ask it of the horses. It is on the BHS syllabus not just because it is safer but it teaches the horse the same obedience when led as when you are riding it.

He was as good as gold, thank-you everyone. I bribed him with a little bit of carrot just to keep his attention on me but he stopped when I asked and allowed me to open and shut gates.

You are right I will try and do this once a week or perhaps once a fortnight to keep him in the routine of doing so.

If you see him every day. work on the leading - lead halt walk halt with turns and backing up. No road no gate. My experience is that all horses and ponies that come to be led very relaxed by their owner or members of staff, benefit from a lesson in good manners. They wont give good behaviour unless the y understand that it is required. Just had to teach a lovely horse to lead into a stall nicely BHS style. No one had bothered with this for years. Had a conversation about this a month ago with senior instructor and decided to ask it of the horses. It is on the BHS syllabus not just because it is safer but it teaches the horse the same obedience when led as when you are riding it.

I do a little groundwork with him most days as without this he gets very bolshy.

well done :)

I bring Peds into his stable every evening whether I am riding or not. He gets fed, groomed and scratched in there as when we first moved here two yers ago he didn't like being in his stable at all! I just persevered and he's much better now. Infact, now he doesn't like being tied on the yard! He'll happily be clipped in his stable, but not on the yard! lol!

Reactions: MrA
Thank-you, I do worry about the silly things!! Looking forward to the trimmer again in a couple of weeks really happy with how his feet are looking and just how he is in general really.

newrider.com