Worrying about getting another horse

Trewsers

Oct 13, 2004
On an island
OH's gelding is getting on - there is no doubt that we have to be realistic and due to his health problems we have both said that we can't see him continuing to have a "working life" for much longer than say the next 12 - 18 months. We are both realistic and I think we'll know when the time is right to let him have a well deserved rest. OH thinks I'm daft, but I'm worried sick about getting another horse for him.:eek: I am so happy with our pair and feel so settled now we're all at home together I am loathe to bring more trouble to our doorstep:eek: I am worried about how JOe will cope with an addition (is 3 a bad number?) and worried how we'll cope handling wise / riding wise. Not like we're complete novices - we've both owned for 5 years plus, but all the same you get used to one particular horse!
Sorry if I sound a wimp, but does everybody feel like this, ie, apprehensive? I daren't even start looking yet! I have been putting it off:eek:
Any thoughts much appreciated.

I think 3 is a bit of an odd number, if you ride out together I would look at buying a new horse for your OH and then buying/loaning a companion horse so Joe isn't on his own when you both ride out together.

I have 7 horses, but I have 2 retired horses to keep each other company (although they hate each other!)

Do you think 3 wouldn't hit it off together turned out? Not so worried about hacking out together - was worrying more about the turnout point of view if you know what I mean.
I did suggest a companion horse for Joe when we would have to go out riding together, but as OH points out - its still to shoe, feed, vet vaccines etc etc - just don't know if we can afford 4! Plus there is the time aspect (tho I am self employed and can be pretty flexible).

Just another thought - I was wondering - has any of you ever bought a horse that has lived out previously that you've kept partially stabled? If so, how sucessful was the transition and how did the horse cope?

Trewsers - Chanter lived out for 8 years, I got him mid winter and stabled him at night out during the day (out at 6 in at 6).

Did he cope......humm fish in water. we went back to check 3 times that first night and I think he was annoyed that we kept waking him up!!!

He had no problems with the change of route at all. In the the only problem I had was when he was in the field. He did not settle at all until I moved field and got him a friend.

Everyone gets scared when there is change afoot but you are not new to this you know all the signs of a unhappy horse and will deal with it correctly as always

Thanks ownedbychanter, that is good to know that they can cope with the transition - I just don't want to do anything that is going to make for a miserable horse / pony! There is so much to think about, and it seems so long ago since I went through all the settling in phase and the getting used to each other routine! I guess I am just being over-apprehensive. OH thinks I am worrying about nothing (he is much more laid back around the horses which is perhaps as well!).

I have 3. Two geldings and one mare (mare being tiny pony 12.2hh) but boy can she look after herself.

My 3 all get along fine. Turn out together no problem.

The only problem is as NoAngel said if you take 2 hacking 1 is always left on its own.

My pony or the cob will stay out on their own if the other two go hacking. It's only my Trakehner that can't be left alone in the field, although I will leave him in his stable and go for a short hack with the other 2 but he does get stressed. 3 can be a problem, but 4 for me would be too much work.

It all depends on the individual horses. OH and I keep our 2 at a friend's house, she has 2 but one has gone off to be sold, so we have 3 in the field at the moment.

Last night OH and I rode and put friend's horse in his stable, where he neighed but was fine (he was charging round field we would have to have passed on road, so put him away!). Mine would probably do the same, so safer in stable, but OH's horse (Ginger Thing) is absolutely fine in the field on his own. Friend and I hack out most days while OH at work, we ride past the field on the way out and back, and we're lucky if he even lifts his head to look at us! He really couldn't care less :rolleyes::D

Friend's horse has lived on his own for months before, but has become very attached to mine, so now is worse on his own than he used to be. It depends on the horses and how they relate to each other.

Thanks for the replies! I have a lot to think about - I am hoping that something will "find us" - I am a great believer in everything happening for a reason - ie, word of mouth, perhaps somebody will want to part with a horse at the right time, one that OH and I can handle (we definitely don't want anything too young or sharp!). I keep sighing as I read the ads in the back of HOrse and Rider - have seen a couple of older, steadier neds. OH wants to wait a little longer tho before committing to looking in earnest (we've not exactly got financial worries but could do to have an evaulate first).

I am on a yard with 3 horses. 2 of my friends and my own

All 3 horses get on individually but my friend's horse is v attached to her other and is v protective of him so currently we cant turn the three out together.

At the moment the pony is being turned out separately but as he is happy enough on his own, it isnt too bad.

I think it can work, depending on the dynamics between the three horses

I guess I just need to persuade OH that we really really need to have four and not three......(don't think he'll buy that somehow!)

My friend kept 3 very successfully :) he and her OH's riding horse, and her OH's wee driving pony. Pony got popped in stable when they went out hacking. I can sympathise, it is unsettling when you are used to a particular horse and their ways and potentially upsetting the apple cart with a new addition. Don't worry :) like you, i believe the right horse finds you :D

Took me 18 months to find my perfect old mares (retired with health issues)replacement - enter Solomon after much searching. Then spent the last 3 years trying to replace Solomon - eventually ( a few horses down the line) enter JJ and so far looks promising!:rolleyes: We now also have big Ginge on loan - so 3 horses - but have always kept a donkey to keep anything left in the field company. works a treat TBH.

Only problem Bertie the companion donkey is now sooooo attached to old Solly have had to get another donkey to try and bond him with that so he doesnt just turn his dear little hooves up and die when Solly finally goes over Rainbow Bridge:eek:

But on the whole would highly recommend a donk as a companion - but you do still have to have regular feet trims, worming, etc. etc. - they can NOT be just kept and ignored like some people tend to do:mad:

Ah, I love donkeys!!! Would love to get one but daren't as a child I had the most horrendous allergy and (touches wood) it doesn't seem to come with the horses. I am afraid I will set it off again!

Hopefully if the horse left behind is stabled with plenty of hay it shouldnt get too stressed. Also it will get used to you going out without it and realise that you always return again!

My Trakehner is a real worrier, neurotic, highly strung, but I have taken the other two horses out and left him in his stable. Yes he calls for England but he actually doesnt get too hot and sweaty so cant have been too worried.

How about putting a mirrors in the stable. Just a thought.

3 can work, and you may consider having 4, but just think about what happens if you need to add another riding horse to the group in the future!

Just make sure that you take them all out individually or in different pairs regularly, even if it is just for a short walk in-hand, so they can cope alone for a while. I have had ponies in the past who will stay in the field alone, but most need to be brought in and given some hay/leave the radio on.

Keep us updated.

Ali xx

newrider.com