Worst ever score, best ever test...

virtuallyhorses

NZ TB owner
Mar 1, 2002
New Zealand
www.virtuallyhorses.com
Decided to have a go at a local 'winter' dressage series. Very casual and thought it would be something fun to do. Lots of people turned up, lots of commotion and I started to get very nervous. Even though my goal was simply to have-a-go and compare my ride\results to our last (first ever) tests, secretly I am competitive and knowing how well we CAN do I really wanted to do well here.

So seeing my horse careering around the paddock, snorting and bucking I thought "Great! this should be fun!" ;) (We'd had a high speed practice the day before) He galloped up to me, snorted and shied at everything as I led him in - although he remembered his manners and never invaded my space so that was something.

We had a small 'incident' in the barn while preparing, the nerves were really bad now (dry retch) then as soon as I brought him out the head and neck went up and he was on full alert.

As soon as I was in the saddle my nerves were gone and unlike other times, I didn't revert to my foetal crouch. I was almost bulletproof - all of the hard work I've been doing on opening my bent, wrongly pointed pelvis and suppling my ancient, beaten lower back came to fruition and I just sat tall and calmly on this idiot horse.

He hates working with other horses but I worked him in the warmup arena, which was a total nightmare. He shot off a few times in dangerous whirling canters, yet I sat them and spoke to him as if it was nothing, instead of tensing and gripping my legs stretched out and my pelvis was gently glued to the saddle. I didn't grab the reins. I gave up on the warmup area to take him somewhere less claustrophobic, he shied at another horse and shot down a grassy bank sideways, no problem, I even smiled and reassured horrified onlookers.

I considered withdrawing him, feeling like I had achieved everything I could ever dream of but instead took him off to a quiet area to calm down - he softened and listened and we gently entered the test area again. I didn't care about impulsion I just wanted him to be calm - then he saw the 'tent' the judge was sitting in (thanks ladies just what I needed), the audience, the other horses (again)....

We completed every movement in the test. We did add in several high speed unbalanced canter pirouettes, two flying changes and a beautiful counter canter loop (none of which got us extra marks :( :D ) but I managed the walk on a long rein and some lovely trot (yes, I know there was not much impulsion but you ask for calmness and suppleness after terror and I think its pretty damn good to get it ;) )

We received a pitiful 45% and it was the best test\day of my life. We've another 2 in this series to go ... :)

Whew, busy day! Congrats on achieving what you set out to achieve. Perhaps with experience, your horse will even learn to perform *just* the manuevers you ask for ;) and no more. I'm sure the more you do the better he'll get about it.

Yes, I know he's a bit of a smarty but prelim is my level :D We got 67% in the same test last time so I'm putting this overexcitement down as an abberation :) I was just so pleased with my own efforts that I had to tell (usually I go to pot and he's the old pro)

Well done you, what an achievement. Hang the score, you did what you wanted, not what he wanted. Bet he behaved like that just to see if you could see it through. Next time will be a doddle with a stunning score. L

newrider.com