Worth and Confirmation?

essexlady

May 21, 2008
Essex
Hi can you knowledgeable people, give me some feed back on this horse, ie confirmation and worth and anything else you might think is useful.

He is seven years old, ID, been used for the past two years as a hacker roughly 4-5 times a week for say 2.5 hours each time, has a little schooling from before.

I have ridden him a few times and thinking of buying him.

Hope pic isnt too big :eek: 1st time iv posted a picture.
new rider.jpg

i recognise that horse.... is that bobby, from a place near finchingfield that does hacking around spains hall area? if so, i rode him this time last year & I thought he was lovely!! not good on conformation tbh honest but i'd pay bout 2k for him personally

Last edited:
For a horse that has only done hacking I wouldn't be paying much more than £2000. Still not a great picture for conformation (totally side on, square and head forward preferably) but a looks a good type, plain but no massively glaring faults. Could have better hocks and his hind quarters look a bit weak. Can't really tell what his neck looks like and as he is not square, hard to tell re. legs but nice type. :)

He looks a good solid sort. What are your plans? Make sure you get him vetted, 5 stage. 7, not done much, sane and sensible, up to £3k with tack?

I think his pasterns are a bit upright, and that his front legs may be behind/underneath him and I'd also look more closely at his chest - but all of this may be angle. for hacking only I'd say 1750 but if he is safe and sane then 2500 but worth bearing in mind he may need a lot of schooling if you want to do anything more

Looks fine to me, brains rather than beauty for a first horse (and no.... he is not ugly by any stretch of the imagination:):)....just a saying. £2k, maybe haggle and go £1750 in the current climate:):)

his feet look a state, but has a soft expression. I wouldn't want to pay over £2500 for him as he is very basic and I do think you could get as nice for less, I would get him fully vetted as you never know what can crop up

Thanks for all your replies will take this on board when I see him tomorrow.

If anyone else wants to give there pennies worth this afternoon great :D

How do you know Bobby??

After seeing him, I realised how my riding has changed over the past year and I need a more schooled horse, that I could progress on.

Bobby is a lovely hacking horse and could be schooled, but I dont have the time to school a horse as I work full time.

Hope he finds a really nice home.

newrider.com