Would anyone in Sheffield consider helping me out?

Mary Poppins

Oct 10, 2004
Visit site
I'm thinking of buying my first horse this year and have spent the morning trawling the internet trying to decide where to buy from/what would be good for me etc? I have followed my favourite dealers for a few years now and would really like to consider buying from Stubley Hollow Farm. Patsy has such a good reputation, I have read many magazine articles about her and I trust her good reputation. Several people on NR have brought from her in the past and everyone has reported she is very honest in her selling. At the moment they have what sounds like my perfect horse on their website. Have a look at Petey:

http://www.stubleyhollowhorses.com/page24.html

However, I live in the South and it's a good 3 hour drive to Stubley. If I were to seriously think about buying either Petey or another horse then I would go and stay in Sheffield for a weekend and spend a couple of days really trying out the horse.

However, I don't have anyone who I can really ask to come with me. My whole family would come to Sheffield for a little holiday and we don't have room in the car for anyone else. Plus, my RI wouldn't come all that way, and while I know a couple of suitably experienced horsey people, I don't feel that I know them well enough to ask them to travel to Sheffield with me for a weekend. I want someone to come with me who has owned horses, is a brave and experienced rider and who could really try out the horse to a level which I am not brave enough to do, and to give me an honest opinion to our suitability. Would anyone who lives around Sheffield be interested in helping me out?

I'm not near Sheffield, so i cant help with that.

What I will say from the photo and the description is that I would leave the coloured well alone.

From the photo its back end looks strange and it has terrible capped hock, and that is a lot of money in the current climate. Honestly a £1500 horse not a £3800

Just my opinion and good luck with your horse hunt.

What I will say from the photo and the description is that I would leave the coloured well alone.

From the photo its back end looks strange and it has terrible capped hock, and that is a lot of money in the current climate. Honestly a £1500 horse not a £3800

^^^That. I think we are meaning Petey here.

Really not liking his conformation at all. Sorry.

Bit far for me to travel, sadly! :( Or I'd help! ;)

She has some lovely horses, and some quite 'average' horses...all VERY expensive IMO.

Good luck looking - it's very exciting (and nerve-wracking!) :D Hope someone local can help you.

Yes we were both looking at Petey

And just to back up my comments on cost.

Look at this ad from another forum I go on, the person who put it up is a very well respected member too.

Although its not the same sort at all, it show the state of the market

SUPER ALLROUNDER.

6 YEAR OLD,16.2HH, IDXTB, BAY,MARE
THYME HAS A KIND LAID BACK TEMPERAMENT,
SHE SCHOOLS WELL AND HAS POPPED A FEW FENCES SHOWING GREAT PROMISE,
SHE WILL HACK ALONE OR IN COMPANY IN ANY TRAFFIC.
100% SHOE,CLIP,ETC.
THYME IS FOR SALE DUE TO WORK COMMITMENTS AND I HATE TO SEE SUCH A LOVELY HORSE GOING TO WASTE.
MUST SELL £1500.
FOR MORE DETAILS CALL 07989 945605 Currently at Stona near Bath coming back to Pembrokeshire soon

picture.php

I'm not near Sheffield, so i cant help with that.

Just my opinion and good luck with your horse hunt.

That's exactly why I need someone to help me! I just don't know about things like this - I thought that he looked lovely.

I know that buying through a dealer will mean that I pay over the odds, but I want my horse of a lifetime and want to get it right first time. I'm so scared of getting the wrong one or being overhorsed.

I am from Sheffield and currently live quite close. I would happily come with you :)

Although I have to agree on the prices being high on the Stubley site and Petey looks far from special. Saying that, if his description is correct and it is what you are looking for then maybe he is worth the value in safeness.

EDIT; what is that dodgy music clip all about?

Sheffield isn't that far from me, and while I'm not the best rider nor great at conformation I can point out the obvious.

I can't believe she is even trying to sell him for that?! What are you after in a horse? For a happy hacker with some light schooling I think you would happily pay in the 1-2k bracket

Sheffield isn't that far from me, and while I'm not the best rider nor great at conformation I can point out the obvious.

I can't believe she is even trying to sell him for that?! What are you after in a horse? For a happy hacker with some light schooling I think you would happily pay in the 1-2k bracket

But I still can't see anything wrong with him conformation wise. I blindly thought that anything on that website would be a decent sort.

I am after a supersafe cob type horse/pony. 14hh to 15hh. Must enjoy being groomed/pampered. Must be easy to look after, easy to do in all respects. I will mainly be hacking and riding in the school, but I'm not after any great ability in the school. As long as the horse can do some 20m circles I will be happy so I can ride in the evenings in winter. I want to pop some jumps, but no higher than 2ft 3 max. I want something that requires a degree of leg and who has fantastic breaks. I can be nervous so I need a horse who will look after me. Something very kind, quiet and sensible.

I am from Sheffield and currently live quite close. I would happily come with you :)

Although I have to agree on the prices being high on the Stubley site and Petey looks far from special. Saying that, if his description is correct and it is what you are looking for then maybe he is worth the value in safeness.

EDIT; what is that dodgy music clip all about?

Thank you for the offer. I thought that he did look special!

But I still can't see anything wrong with him conformation wise. I blindly thought that anything on that website would be a decent sort.

Would you get the potential horse vetted? This is where I'd hope that a decent vet (that she has NOT recommened) would pick this up and give you a clear indication of conformation etc. The vet will assess the horse depending on it's potential use ie. not suitable for a BSJA showjumper, but would do fine as a happy hacker. However, capped hocks and dodgy comformation aren't something you really want in any horse, especially your first and especially at that price!

Thank you for the offer. I thought that he did look special!

Sorry, :redface: I didn't mean that horribly, I should have expanded. I personally don't think he looks special. He hasn't got good confirmation, as has been mentioned, he looks small for his height, which means he wont hold height well (I can ride my 14hh horse and look fine but look large on my friends 15hh) He doesn't show off a breed well. He does have a cute face though. To me these are things that would knock money off his value as a cob. Even she calls him a bog pony. They are all for looks though, and from one picture which doesn't help. There is a place near here that has about 10 Peteys that take complete novices up and down complex trecs everyday never putting a foot wrong and completely looking after the most nervous of riders. That is worth a lot more than if a horse looks special in my eyes and if that is what you are looking for and he is in your price range then why not go and see him?

I hate seeing how many people go out and buy a very unsuitable horse for their first and end up not being able to ride it, losing confidence and a lot of the time ruining it. Just because of it's looks, or because they got too much horse for themselves so if Petey sounds like your dream horse don't be knocked back, but get a vet to have a look at his confirmation and discus it with them, and discus what your intentions would be with regards to work.

I still think he is massively over priced and £2K would be more appropriate but looking at this womans website it seems she knows what she is doing and is selling safety and reassurance.

It is a long way, personally I would get in touch and ask for more photos and a video explaining you are interested but have a long way to travel. It may just be a bad picture at the end of the day, or it may show up something else. My mare can look a right state from certain angles but great from others. Having said that she is not worth £3800 because she is not a first horse by any means!

What do you think of this one:

http://www.safecobs.com/view_horse.php?horse_id=123

He doesn't come cheap either, but is exactly what I'm looking for. Plus I do trust the dealer he comes from.

I wouldn't buy anything from a dealer who does not give their land line number or an address.

I have no idea who these people are but if they had a good reputation why on earth not quote their details.

And again massively overpriced.

While I agree a safe horse is worth extra money, not that much. You would be far better off buying something locally which you can ask around about or on a recommendation from someone you trust on here for example.

Last edited:
Sorry, another one who doesnt like the way Petey is put together! having been down the road of buying a horse with poor conformation who is now happily living out his days retired in my field (Archie) then, no I wouldnt take the chance.

There are two companies with near enough the same name, Safecobs and My Safe Cobs - the latter has the better rep and I contacted them when we were looking for another horse a few months ago.

Word of mouth is always the best route when buying horses (IMO) does your RI know of a decent local horse for sale?

Would also like to add that in the present climate, you can get a decent horse for a lot less money than both of these dealers are charging - I know that peace of mind and safety are important but even the best horses can change when you move them whether they cost £4k or £400 - sorry

Looks/conformation are not everything. If you like the look of Petey then go and look at him, have him vetted - 5 stage preferably,he is overpriced by quite a lot esp in this current market. Neither of my ridden ponies have great conformation but they are exactly what I wanted and they are both great for the jobs that are expected of them. I must say that now I have looked at that website I am in love with Nickel!

My safe cobs has an excellent reputation and the training they do with their horses ensures they really are bomb proof, polite and very nice. The owner of that side who does the training used to do police horses.

Mary Poppins - the names of these dealers are indeed well known to those of us who follow NR. But that doesnt mean that everyone on NR has had a simple and problem-free time with every horse bought from them.

My major and mega pice of advice to you is that unless you are going to Ireland to bring home a horse of your own - shop locally. In your county abnd the neighbouring ones. You need to try the horse a few times, you need to be able to return it and you need your own experts to try it and your own vet to vet it. By all means use dealers (and pay the premium for that) but use the good dealers who are close to where you live - 2 - 3 hours drive max.

I too used NR to find out possible dealers - but I specially looked out for posts from people in the South east. I even went to visit a display at one dealers.
One big ressource near here is our local Uni/college running an equestrian course - many students have bought from local dealers, and also asking around at the livery yards -

I love the look of the Irish horse posted by rtk because she is like the horse I share. Horses are what you, as the owner/rider, make them - not machines like bikes which stay the same after a move and change of use.

I share a totally safe lesson horse - but she has a mind of her own and napped quite a bit when I started to hack her solo - she was known for it. That's now in the past. But you are not going to buy any horse from anywhere that is going to nurse you through the transition. You have to live up to your name and be Mary Poppins to your horse.

newrider.com