Would anyone want to help, do you think?

Midnight_Ashes

Apr 1, 2008
County Durham
I may as well be burning money for how much I am spending on full livery at the minute! Here is my situation; I have five horses (three rideable, one to be backed this summer and one retired) and work shifts. I work a six week rota, two weeks of four shifts and four weeks of three shifts, but I am also on the bank and pick up extra shifts there too. My mum works Mon-Thurs but also does freelance work on a self employed basis so between the two of us we're pretty busy! I am now thinking ahead to next winter!! I am thinking that I am going to be spending an extra £75 - £100 a week on full livery most weeks. Do you think anyone would be interested in helping with the mucking out in exchange for rides? What would be a fair expectation, from both parties?

If I lived near you then I definatly would.
Been looking for something such as helping out in exchange for rides.
However depends on how much they do help out I don't think any payment should be asked for, since their basically doing whatever when you can't and then expected too have to pay for it.

Move a smidge closer jen and I would - ofcourse I will be unemployed soon - you could hire me as a groom for the same amount you would spend in full livery haha!

Am I right in thinking you just want this help over winter or have I picked that up wrong?

If so you have to think about how often they will actually be able to ride. I'm not entirely sure of your circumstances, but if the weather meant they were unridable for weeks at a time it could be a bit of a bum deal for the helper!

But if Iv picked that up wrong or you have the facilities to ride throughout winter then I think you would definitely find someone. I would expect them to be able to ride the days they are helping out, I agree with PFB, you could choose one horse for them to 'have' or give them access to all three.

ppl will defo be interested and if they are truly into horses they wont mind helping with all aspects (not just the riding) A few years ago i would of loved the chance to work for rides/ get involved in the care side of things and that is what i did- took on a horse who hadnt been ridden for years, rebacked him and did everything for him- was great :) why not put a notice up in all the local tackshops?

if i lived nearer MA then i'd be interested also and i would be happy with 2 or 3 rides/training sessions.I'd even be ok with it being different on a weekly basis and tbh riding is not the be all & end all and i'd certainly be happy enough just caring for the horses if the weather was awful..but thats just me personally.. other people may not be able to be so flexible .. I would also like plenty of snuggles from truffles :inlove:

Last edited:
Oh dear........here comes 'DOOM AND GLOOM' :biggrin:

I did exactly this with a Young Girl throughout the Summer, had an
even Younger Girl coming along with her Mum to ride Bertie.

I totally put myself out, picking the eldest one up, dropping her off etc., and made sure I was around at times that were maybe not so convenient for the other Girl..........

They could ride, mess about with the Horses as much as they liked and
I thought it would all pay dividends come Winter when I would get a bit
of help just filling haynets etc........I totally appreciated that neither had the knowledge to do the Horses on their own but did expect a
bit of a hand as thanks..........

When the Sun disappeared so did they and I haven't seen hide nor hair
of either since end of SEPTEMBER..........funnily enough Sun was out
last weekend and I got a Text asking if I was going down..... which I
wasn't as had already done them, but I won't be doing it again this
Year !!

It it was a ''work for ride'' situation then I'd probably go for a ride in exchange for mucking out and feeding after riding. If time is really an issue, then surely a share/part loan would be more convienient for both parties. On their days they're expected to do what is necessary. If the horses are still on full livery then I'd probably ask for a financial contribution, if they weren't then just doing the horse (mucking out, feed, water, feet, rugs etc) on the days they have.

maybe a formal sharer would be the best option? probs with a help for jobs situation as fairlady mentions as it's all too easy for them to disappear when the weather gets awful. This is a risk even with sharers but as the arrangement is more formal I think the likelihood of it happening maybe slightly less

As someone who has shared I was quite happy to pay £15-£20 a week for 2-3 days and the horse was 'mine' on those days for me to do all the usual jobs (muck out, nets, feed etc) and then ride/hack out/lunge/play as wanted! I also do shifts so I feel you pain!

My share horse just moved to Durham ... why can't you be in Preston? Can't find anything to share/part loan round here!

I used to look after a 30 year old retired horse at least 3 days a week for 6 months for nothing - no rides , no money nothing so i shouldnt think you would have a problem.

As i lived and worked about 20 min drive from the horse and i owned a car they knew it was pratically something i was able to do.

There are people out there who would help of course, they may be few and far between but you will find that person who is right for you and your horse. You may find it easier to get someone say half way through summer as they will benefit from some nicer weather and not just be stuck with cold dark mornings and nights.

Whether or not you wanted a formal arrangement I would be happy to help out the odd weekend when your shifts fall Saturdays and Sundays. I couldn't do weekdays sadly but since I know (most of) your herd and managed not to break anything as far as I know at your old yard, if you're really pressed, do think of me for the odd day :)

newrider.com