Would you ask?

Feawen

Jan 12, 2012
Firstly, I’ve been browsing the forum for a while, and thought it was time to say hello...:wavespin:

I'm also hoping for some advice. I was offered a horse to ride last week while his owners were away on holiday. He's always struck me as a lovely chap so I said I'd be delighted. WOW am I glad I agreed! I loved riding him - it was like meeting an old friend - and a couple of people at the yard commented that he was going well for me... :redface:

Would it be out of order to ask his owners about the possibility of a 1 day per week share?

The owners haven't said anything about wanting a sharer, and I'm sure they don't *need* one. Horse is currently ridden about 4 days each week. Has anyone had / would anyone consider a sharer when they didn't really need one, just because someone clicked with with your horse?

In this situation, would you ask? And how would you go about it? I don't want to come across as pushy or put his owners on the spot. I don't know them very well.

As a (kind of relevant) aside, I've been sharing a horse on same yard for the last year, but this is coming to a (very amicable) end soon.

Firstly, I’ve been browsing the forum for a while, and thought it was time to say hello...:wavespin:

I'm also hoping for some advice. I was offered a horse to ride last week while his owners were away on holiday. He's always struck me as a lovely chap so I said I'd be delighted. WOW am I glad I agreed! I loved riding him - it was like meeting an old friend - and a couple of people at the yard commented that he was going well for me... :redface:

Would it be out of order to ask his owners about the possibility of a 1 day per week share?

The owners haven't said anything about wanting a sharer, and I'm sure they don't *need* one. Horse is currently ridden about 4 days each week. Has anyone had / would anyone consider a sharer when they didn't really need one, just because someone clicked with with your horse?

In this situation, would you ask? And how would you go about it? I don't want to come across as pushy or put his owners on the spot. I don't know them very well.

As a (kind of relevant) aside, I've been sharing a horse on same yard for the last year, but this is coming to a (very amicable) end soon.

if you don't ask you don't get, what have you got to lose?

Exactly as Lemme says if you don't ask you will never know!

Just tell them what a fabulous time you have had and explain that your loan is drawing to an end soon and that you will be looking for another ride/share.

Fingers crossed for you, how lovely that you have clicked with this Horse.

Every owner loves to hear that somebody else appreciates their horse and I am sure these owners won't be any different :wink: oh I am so hoping they say a huge resounding YES. Let us know xxxx

Hello, and welcome to the forum.

I would definitely ask the owner if you could share him. It sounds to me that it may well be meant to be, as your current share is about to come to an end. As you have clicked with him, and they obviously like and trust you by asking you if you want to ride him while they're away, they might be very pleased that you'd like to make it a permanent arrangement.

As he's ridden about 4 days a week, I can't imagine that you wanting to ride him on one day would be a problem.

I really hope it comes off for you; please let us know the outcome.

Firstly, congratulations on taking the plunge and posting on new rider.

I'd personally say something along the lines of, 'thank you so much for allowing me to ride **** whilst you were away. He's a real credit to you and if ever you decide you want a sharer please could you consider me'.

If they hadn't considered it before it would certainly make them think about it now.

Good luck and please keep us updated.

I like the wording Joyscarer posted. And yes I'd definitely ask!
The thing is they've already invited you to ride their horse.
I think that's the important part.
I always hated it when people from work would say stuff like:
"Oh you have horses? We'd love to come out and ride sometime"
As me having horses meant I wanted some clueless stranger to come out and ride my horses. I mean seriously.
But your situation is totally different.
Good for you! :)

Yes definitely mention it, they asked you to ride their horse, just say 'if you're ever considering a sharer I'd be very interested' and leave it with them. They can only say no and obviously aren't horrified at the thought of you riding him.

Oh, and welcome to the forum :smile:

I agree with everything that's been said; if you don't ask you don't get. But I'd be a bit more positive - something on the lines of "I wonder if you've ever thought of a share arrangement, cos I'm looking for a share ..." "If you ever think of sharing him" is fine, but what you really want is a horse now, isn't it?
If they say 'no', then at least you'll know where you are; 'we'll think of you if we ever want a sharer' is kind, but not very helpful...

Thanks for all your advice, and the warm welcome. I think I will raise the subject over the weekend and see what they say. Eek!

Got some people coming to try my current share horse tonight - a teenager and her mum. Typing is getting difficult, I've got so many fingers crossed!

newrider.com