would you be tempted?

Cortrasna

Grumpy old nag
Aug 5, 2009
Ireland
Honest replys please.

You'vehad your horse for about 8 months, hes generally pretty much what you wanted but far from your perfect horse, more due to YOUR shortcoming than his.:rolleyes:

so within a week (not advertised or even suggested he might be for sale - pure coincidence) you receive an offer from 2 different people to buy him from you at considerably more than he cost you and a lot more than seems to be the going rate.

Home 1 is probably very good, showing, hacking, riding club etc with a youngish confident rider who has fallen in love with him.

Home 2 claims they want him for a hunter but suspect they are aware of someone else who will pay serious money for him so not keen at all on this.

Ok - question is - would you???:confused:

It depends - I would ask myself the following questions:

Can I work on our issues and improve upon them, or is the horse too much for me/unsuitable?

Could I bring myself to part with him?

Would the money offered be enough to buy me a suitable "replacement"?

Would I be happy to sell him to the people who want to buy him (people one sound better to me!)

Depends on how much I had fallen for the horse. Some you cant help it even if they are less than perfect for you.

Would only consider home one, not two though

Also you need to consider how difficult he will be to replace. I'm sure a lot of us have all spent months looking for something suitable before.

Probably if the horse wasn't what I was looking for after 8 months and the first home I was happy with, I would take them up on the offer.

I'm a softie, but can also be quite practical when it comes to horses. I dont view them in the same way I do my dogs. They're expensive animals to keep and if I wasnt happy with it, it'd find a new home.

The very fact you are asking suggests yes.... sell him to home 1.

I used to believe that I had to work with any horse I took on but being older and wiser realise that there are the right owners out there for most of them

I would - to home 1. It sounds like he could have a lovely time there - not that I'm suggesting he doesn't with you - but if you two aren't quite 'clicking' it seems almost selfish to deprive the young prospective owner and the horse of the opportunity of a perfect partnership. I do mean that tongue in cheek, I really don't mean it to sound offensive, but it's very difficult to make things sound how you mean in a typed message like this!

Perhaps loan wavtb until you're sure they are suited?

It took me years to click with my Toby, so no, i wouldn't consider selling after only 8 months. Thereagain i've only ever sold 1 horse in almost 20 years of horse owning ;) IF you were to sell, home 1 sounds most suitable, i don't think i'd even entertain 2's offer.

Would I?? Without a doubt and quick as a flash!! If I had a horse I wasn't happy was right for me,for whatever reason,and had only had him a few months then yes I would sell him.That is assuming it was to a good home as you describe.

I could use the money to get something more suitable,and the horse get's a home more suited to him/her,I don't see any problem there:)

The fact that you are even considering it makes me think that it is something that you need to think seriously about. If you vet home 1 and think that your horse could be happy here then it is something to consider.

However, bear in mind that no-one has the 'perfect' horse and you have to develop a relationship before this will happen. If your horse is making you happy, you are making progress and can see a future for the two of you then perhaps you should keep him.

I'd possibly work with what i had, if it's your short coming i'd get some lessons, see what changes.
You could look back 6 months down the line and kick yourself for selling.

Jack in the beginning was a nightmare, not what i wanted at all, i felt he was too small and he very very nearly got sold. Would i have regretted that, oh boy yes would i. I love him to bits and we're well suited. Who had to change, me.

Yes I probably would - to home 1 - if I thought I would find an even more suitable replacement especially with the larger budget. You wouldn't be considering it at all if yu hadn't got some doubts.

Yup, I'd sell if he was more than I could deal with and someone was offering him a good home.

I think I'd be tempted, but it depends how serious the shortcomings are and whether you think you can resolve them. Also if you sell him there's no guarantee his replacement will turn out to be perfect - could be a case of better the devil you know ;) sorry not very helpful I guess!

No, because my horse is my companion for life and you might regret it. I have been offered blank cheques for my horse where i fill in how much i want for her and a very pursuasive german couple tried tobuy dee at her grading until i put my foot down.
For me, my horse isnt a money pot, she willlive out her days with me as she has helped me so much. She is more than an assest and i do not mind if she is woth £5 or £50,000, she is priceless to me. No other horse could ever replace her.

hold on to what you have got, for you will miss it when its gone x

I couldn't, i've had my girl for just over a year, she is everything i didn't want but i love her to death, we have some sort of connection as daft as it sounds and there is no way i could part with her.

Thanks all - some very helpful replys to give me food for thought. TBH the money isnt a big issue but obviously it makes any thoughts of selling him more attractive.

to put it in perspective a bit more - did buy him with a view to trying him for a year and then if he didnt suit would sell on - the reason he may not suit is my physical problems and inability to deal with some of his enthuisiasm due to serious back problems that leave both my legs and arms weaker than you really need to ride a young horse of his type correctly:eek: Unfortunately lessons would not help with this as you cant make a crippled old body do things it needs to do when on board:)

Main thing is that I do find him quite strong when out hacking and just dont have the power in either my legs, seat or hands to get him to respond to half halts etc. However, when I hacked him out in company for the first time this weekend he was my dream horse, steady, calm and responsive. If I never hacked alone he would not even be under consideration for sale!:rolleyes:

Trouble is I have bonded with him - he is a very sweet natured and willing horse - but if I continue to get off him with my back in bits and my arms and legs completely useless with pins and needles I can see him becoming a field ornament:eek: And this just isnt an option for a fit and healthy rising 6 year old is it? Should probably have bought an old timer just to plod around on.

Also - and sorry if this offend anyone but I am Irish so can say this:rolleyes: - had thought I would NEVER sell him on over here as TBh quite a few homes here are less than good owners and arent fussed if a horse doesnt suit them selling them on at a sale - something I could not do to this horse. The girl in question is coming up to uni age - what happens to JJ when she goes??? Yet another one shoved off to the sales?

There is a possibility if he doesnt suit to send him over to my brothers in UK for them to find a decent, hopefully forever home for him there - as he also drives and they seem to think he is a very showy sort of coloured and wont have any trouble placing him.

Oh dear - really struggling here - but shall carry on with him for the time being and just see if I get a light bulb moment with him when my decision might be made for me?:eek:

Thanks again for opinions - does help!:)

If he was your dream horse out on a hack in company could you not just find yourself lots of hacking companions and then hopefully as he matures a bit the hacking alone will become less of a struggle. And it all may just slot into place.

Do you find he is better out on his own if someone walks with you on foot? Would that be an option? Or is there someone with a more willing body;) who would hack him out alone for you so he gets more used to doing this.

If you have bonded with him i would really think twice about parting with him esp to a home where you feel he may be sold on when uni comes into play. Could you offer this girl part share of him to hack him out alone and do a few bits with him for his benefit or would that take too much of your time with him away?

There has to be a compromise that would work to allow you and him to continue to grow together. If he can be your dream horse in one area surely this is worth hanging onto.

Good luck in whatever you decide, its not an easy decision. Maybe do a list of for and against, always helps me to see it written on paper.

newrider.com