would you be wary?

nelsonsmum

Nov 1, 2007
Lincoln
I put an ad on stabletalk a few weeks ago looking for a horse share. I have had someone contact me to arrange a meet but have been unable to find a time convenient to both of us. All contact so far has been by email. Well eventually it looks like we are going to meet but whenever I ask any questions about the horse it is ignored, I don't know how big or what temperament all I do know is it's a mare. Would anyone else have misgivings about this vagueness or am I just worrying too much?:confused:

yes i'd be wary, after all its the horse you'll be looking at not the person.
ask them directly about the horse and if they dont reply with adequate answers then i wouldnt bother replying again

You shouldnt meet anyone, even someone who posts on NR, without proper precautions. Like full name, address, phone and double check. Take someone with you and meet in a public place like a registered livery yard (contact the YO to confirm) or a pub.

yes i would be quite wary, but at the same time at least its not like a sale. make sure the owner rides first, i think its better to ask questions through phone or in person anyway, they tend to give a more straight forward answer;) :)

oh yes, after all your asking about her horse that your potentially sharing ! If they are ignoring your questions, I wouldnt bother I'm afraid. :(

Dont go full stop! If they wont give you any details then it sounds really dodgy. I can talk about mine till the cows come in and I'm not even looking for a sharer!! If they are unwilling to talk about the horse, it probably doesnt exist:(

I'd avoid it too.

When I was contacted by my sharer, she asked loads of intelligent questions, and I sent back a massive reply! I wanted to make sure she knew a bit about my horse, a bit about me, and a bit about the sort of person we were looking for, and I asked her a few questions as well, and we exchanged phone numbers. If they give you no information about the horse, you have no idea if it's even what you're looking for, and ultimately (assuming the horse exists) the whole thing may end up a waste of everyone's time.

Its dodgy. Why on earth would someone looking for a sharer not tell that sharer about the horse? I would be EXTREMELY surprised if there was a horse involved at all, TBH. walk away from this one and be glad that you may have dodged a bullet.

Skib's advice about meeting people, even ones you think you "know", is really sensible and should be heeded by everyone. i do often have major misgivings about the sort of adverts you see on NR classified, lots of very young teens spilling their soul to the world and publishing their full names, addresses and mobile numbers for the world to see. Frankly, a paedophile with a pony would be in heaven. Lots of yards are very isolated, and often there are not many other people around.

PLEASE keep yourselves safe.

I agree completely with Gruntfuttock. Personally I wouldn't go at all as I doubt there is a horse at all. If you really want to go though please please please make sure you take a responsible person that you trust with you and make sure lots of people know where your going etc. Sounds a bit picky but it's better to be safe than sorry! :)

have decided against going and let owner know. Feel like a time waster now though in case it was genuine. Thnks for all your great advice as ever

Feel like a time waster now though in case it was genuine.

You're not the time-waster, if anything the owner of the horse is, for not giving you the information about it upfront ! After all, if she/he had replied to your inital questions with frank and full information about the horse, you wouldn't even have been posting here about it would you? Therefore that owner wasted your time by not giving adequate information. Don't fret about it, i think it was a dodgy one anyway.

The right share horse is out there for you somewhere !

You did the right thing, and that person is the time waster not you. Well done on walking away from that dogdy person.

newrider.com