Would you buy a horse...

No_Angel

Apr 20, 2003
Ireland
Would you buy a horse that looked like one you had previously owned?

Interested to know what other people think :)

I think I would if it was suitable for what I wanted.

Last edited:
I'm not sure, I wouldn't want to always be comparing them to the other because of the similarities in cover, the book might be a whole different story BUT having said that, when I brought Jess I was showing the picture to a friend who's horse I loved (and had been trying for ages to convince him to sell to me) and at first glance he thought I was showing him a picture of his mare they were that similar, I just hadn't noticed the similarity until then :)
ETA pics
Sadie (recently) and Jess (at the time I brought her) there is about 15 years between them :D
Sadie.PNG Jess side baby.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah wouldn't bother me. I feel as tho I'm destined to be a grey owner forever - think I'll always have a grey:D I know OH would definitely consider a Joe look alike. He loves his tbs.

Um no. I did think I wanted another Newforest but then found one who looked just like him. It was heartbreaking.
Its hard enough not comparing without them looking the same.

I did opt for one who would be a challenge like before though.

I did just that, they may look similar but they couldn't be more different in every other way, she was a saint(she sadly had to get pts which was very upsetting and i don't want to get into) and he is cheeky, playful and very opininated but i love him as much as i loved her. Everybody says he is very like her but too me they seem so different that I just don't compare.
HerIMG-20131015-00029.jpg
him
21.03.15.5.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: tikkitti
Yes I would. Here's another.... Would you change the name of a new one to the same as a previous one, just because you like the name?

Yeh I would. Tbh Id go out tomorrow and buy another Moet lol (well look alike anyway)

I wouldn't change the name though. But I woudlnt change the name of a horse after purchasing.....though saying that we changed both the dogs names after rehoming them!?

Its something I've pondered, I love my boy and his different look, he gets a fair bit of attention for his size and his colouring which is nice but he's one of kind for me. I don't think I could replace him. Besides, I'm probably looking at something shall we say a bit more athletic next horse. And that's not a Flipo

Reactions: Jayne
I wouldn't actively go looking for a look alike, but if one came along I wouldn't discount it.

I have changed my horses show name, simply because the one on his passport is ridiculous!

Hi, It would depend, I would if I could of afforded another one or had the time a few months back I would of bought a bay welsh d gelding with a star,strip,snip as he was the bigger double of my first pony a Welsh b(who we sadly lost to old age). I had to make sure my head ruled my heart as he was local, gorgeous but also 4 so needed work:( As for my other special pony I clicked with, I don't think I could of bought another golden dun, I regret selling him so think if I had a double of him it would be too painful for me. I still try to not look in the field where he is as seeing him brings me to tears, I know he's loved and looked after he's a old pony now but don't think I will ever get over selling him.:( As for a names our fell and dales have stable names as their own names are too posh then the cob came with his name and the pony came without a name as was rescued, so we named her.x

Maybe...

Heidi.jpg
HeidiinField48.jpg

CIMG0100.jpg

I did it once and it was a disaster. I had a horse of my lifetime from a 2yo to about 27 and bought a 'look alike' on impulse who was a night mare. Sadly I dont think any horse could have lived up to my expectations but equally it taught me a valuable lesson not to expect to much !

Reactions: tikkitti
Wouldn't bother me, I compare it to breeds of dogs, I absolutely love golden and flat coated retrievers having had several goldies they all look the same but each has been very very different. So a horse that looks the same wouldn't bother me.

I wouldn't give a new horse a name I had used before for another animal either, names are unique and the reference point in my mind for that animal so I would never use it again.

Say I owned a Jack previously and then brought another horse who had been called that I would change it. I don't believe in the whole 'bad luck to change their name'.

My horses previous owner tried to change his once or twice but he flatly refused to answer to it, one day in desperation she shouted his old name and he trotted over. So he decided himself that was his name and he wasn't having another one.

Well I call him other things sometimes 'Gerroffmyfootyoulump' for example but he quite happily ignores me :rolleyes:

awwe was that little one Ludo Domane?
That is he.... my first dabble into baby cobs. Actually looking back he was quite feisty compared to Albi and Boo but that could well have been my inexperience. Baptism of fire, in any case! :p

And just for old time's sake.... ;)

Reactions: joellie and Gimp
newrider.com