Would you buy a horse...

Oh what a great vid! I like your first picture Domane, who was that?
That was Arthur, Jane.... the gorgeous Comtois X that I had for a while and backed.... He was such a chunk.....

...but very affectionate...

... and also a tail eater!!! This is what he did to Albi...!!!

Reactions: Trewsers
OMG! That tail - I would have been incandescent with rage, I have never known one horse do that to another, I wonder why some do?:eek:

He didn't just bite it off either, Cortrasna, he did actually chew it and swallow! :eek: He'd had Treacle's (Welsh A) too, like Albi's and was just making a start on Jack's. I tried everything to deter him, Cribbox, mustard, chilli's and pepper.... he just munched on through those like seasonings!! TCP and Dettol stopped him in his tracks for a while, but he was starting to acquire a taste for those too.

I did worry that one day he might get impaction colic from a giant hair ball!!

I swear my cob saw that video! Though she jumped over the post and rail, usually she floors gates.

I don't know as I've never lost a horse. Roxy is my perfect pony in terms of looks - a pretty chestnut mare - so I think I'd want another just like her - maybe an inch or two bigger but that's it really. Mind you I also love coloured horses and would love a piebald or tricolour sports horse type.

Wouldn't bother me, I compare it to breeds of dogs, I absolutely love golden and flat coated retrievers having had several goldies they all look the same but each has been very very different. So a horse that looks the same wouldn't bother me.

I wouldn't give a new horse a name I had used before for another animal either, names are unique and the reference point in my mind for that animal so I would never use it again.

Say I owned a Jack previously and then brought another horse who had been called that I would change it. I don't believe in the whole 'bad luck to change their name'.

My horses previous owner tried to change his once or twice but he flatly refused to answer to it, one day in desperation she shouted his old name and he trotted over. So he decided himself that was his name and he wasn't having another one.

Well I call him other things sometimes 'Gerroffmyfootyoulump' for example but he quite happily ignores me :rolleyes:
I know someone who named their child after their dead dog! They came late to parenting, maybe they were more focused on the dog before that. A bit weird really!

I had three black standard Shetlands in the mid 90s, all 38-40 inches when mature. All fillies/mares. They all looked pretty similar to be honest. ;)

Yes as I love black horses. A stud, who's stock I greatly admire, had a black roan gelding who I was very very taken with, although the price tag did make me wince a little, if I could have afforded him I would have had him in a flash.

Even if I bought another horse like Kia there will never be another Black Beastie. He is irreplaceable and totally unique but looking at a similar horse wouldn't make me sad but prompt me to remember the good times and all the things he taught me.

newrider.com