Would you lease(To possibly buy) a toed in horse?

MajorityRules

Wilson
Jan 21, 2007
NS, Canada
I have this percheron x TB im interested, and his owners may soon be leasing Wilson for a couple years for beginners lessons.

So, this horse, The percheron x , is 16 hands, four and half years old. And she beleives he'll make almost 16.3 , but he's toed in. She messaged me and told me it doesn't affect him, and his movement is still fine, and she had a vet out to see. This doesn't but me that much, but should it? Willow is toed in, and I absolutely LOVE her to death. Shes not talented or anything , certainly over crossrails, But when you put it to 2' shes great. But it doesn't seem to make her movement weird.

I would assume I would have to be more worried on a bowed tendon horse, or one with upright pasturns, or something.

Is being toed in a big problem? Do you think it would hinder his ability to jump?

oh, and one more thing..I've only seen this headshot so far.
http://i19.piczo.com/view/f/f/s/e/a/o/3/5/v/v/5/img/i182088942_41627_2.jpg

Shes sending more this week.
Did I forget anything? haha

I rode a horse many years ago at a local riding school that was toed in, it was fine in walk but very uncomfortable in trot and canter and as far as I can remember it was unable to jump. I was very young then so wouldn't have had a clue about tendons, etc but I would guess it would put some sort of strain on them:confused:

Heres a picture of Willow
DSC03345-1.jpg

I dont know if you can tell about how her toes are or not.

Depends how bad it is IMO. Supreme Rock, a top eventer, was pigeon toed but it didn't seem to affect him, he won loads and at the very highest level. In youngsters it can improve with time & good farriery/trimming. My horse is slightly pigeon toed, I noticed it before I bought her & asked the vet what he thought, he said that in some cases it can cause imbalance and strain in the joints and affect their soundness, so not good. Fortunately he reckoned that in her case it was not pronounced enough to cause a problem, so to go ahead & buy her, which I did :) She has got better as she has gown older but sometimes she does a super-gimpy pigeon toed horse stance!

P-3.jpg

She can stand perfectly straight, honest :D

It depends how pronounced it is really, from the head shot he does look stunning though! hope it's nothing major and that he works out for you.

my horse came up as slightly pidgeon toed in his vetting but still passed as it wasnt affecting him. i cant see it in him tbh - there's a possibility that his clubbed foot was disguised and this gave the appearance pidegeon toed, i'm not sure.

but as others have said - depends what you want to do!

Nelson is slightly toed in...so little that farrier said he would be able to keep his feet looking spot on with regular trims but it will always be there. Doesn't effect his ability what so ever, cleared a nice solid 4ft+ hegde after sietske went over it and his movement looks really nice when he is out and about in the field doing his thing.

Unless the horse was terribly toed in I wouldnt even bother about it at all!!

Stumpy is pigeon toed, makes her look even more dozy then she is ;)

I typically don't have the pigeon toed pic I was after. This is more exaggerated then normal cos we *** both standing a bit iffy :eek: I can't even seem to find that many pics of her with pigeon toes, maybe she doesn't have AS pigeoned toes as I thought!

In-hand.jpg

The difference is quite slight, doesn't seem to stop her tanking off ;)

Rosehill-tiedtolorry.jpg

Loaning - no issue - gives you the ultimate trial. If you really look, loads of horses out there have action that the books say is 'wrong'.

Once you know the horse is sound, then go ahead and buy if you want. Don't take the seller's word for it.

newrider.com