Would you pay £200 for a Rambo?

honey65

Jul 4, 2009
Bakewell, Derbyshire
Is it really worth paying £200 for a heavy weight Rambo rug? I want a reallly good qaulity turn out and like the V fastening on the chest as Comet always looked like he's being garrotted when he puts his head down (and he has a really bad sore there).

I've heard that they can last for stupid amounts of years. Is it true?

I keep getting told to buy a rambo, as they last for years... but I'm caught in the trap of, why pay stupid money, when his current rugs (some he's had for years) lasted 5? I mean he's wrecked most of them now, but it's now just after xmas, and I don't have that sort of money:rolleyes:
I'm waiting to see if the wrecking of rugs (leaning over fences) has stopped, before spending more;)

A few years ago yes i would have, but now (according to 2 local tack shops) the Rambo's are being made 'abroad' to a much lower standard!

I have a Rambo that must be 10yrs old (the original purple&green hw) and after professional cleaning and repair is good as new!

I personally now would only spend £200 on a Bucas as they are fantastic quality (made in Ireland) and they have a 3yr warranty on the expensive rugs :D

I have a Bucas and I hate it. I intend to sell it when I buy a more suitable one. I don't think it fits Comet well and is really heavy. I also prefer ones with full neck as Comet has a big mane and I like to keep the mud out. My Bucas rug doesn't have a neck and also takes ages to dry

I remember when newzealands used to the long lasting rug. Do people still have them?

Sorry to go a little off topic there! I think it depends on your horse and the horses he lives with (rug rippers). If your horse manages to keep a nice rug I would splash out :)

I remember when newzealands used to the long lasting rug. Do people still have them?

Sorry to go a little off topic there! I think it depends on your horse and the horses he lives with (rug rippers). If your horse manages to keep a nice rug I would splash out :)

If you mean the old canvas new zealands, then yes i have 3 of them!! 2 of them do not fit Indie though

They were my childhood rug. I can always remember having to take the rugs home to dry them and reproof them. Where did you buy yours from?

I found them in the tack room and YO said use them or get rid as she doesn't need them! She said she has had them forever! They may be heavy but are indestructable!

I used to buy cheap rugs for Thomas as he would wreck them, then realised it was false economy - he wrecked them because they were cheap! The more expensive rugs are made of higher denier, ripstop fabric, and aren't as easy to rip as cheap ones.

Carlow has a Rhino Wug that's 12 years old and still in great condition! (and a 12 year old Fal Pro stable rug that looks like new when it's cleaned).We bought them 3 other Wugs last year (I do try not to pay full price, and one was a bargain off ebay!). I've also had Weatherbeeta Taka's half price from Equestrian Clearance.

I have a Combo Rambo that's about 3 years old and once cleaned it still looks like new.

I love mine to be honest as it fits so well and he's snug as a bug in it, so I can go to bed knowing even though he's out 24/7 in this weather, he will be warm at least.

no, i wouldnt. i find it cheaper and easier to buy cheaper rugs every year, and not bother with cleaning them, just buy another, next year, or a good quality second hand one when i can get a bargain. my vandals can rip any rug- i might as well rip the 200 pound notes into pieces myself!

I bought a LW masta in the sales this summer it fits well and its kept her warm all winter.I got it for half price.I would not pay for expensive rugs.to add warmth i also bought her a masta waffle weave at the same time.again discounted in the sales. Both rugs fit her shape well.
I couldn't afford £200 for a horse rug and even if i could i still wouldn't pay that price.

Personally I wouldn't pay £200 on any rug. Especially the way 2 out of my 3 trash rugs. It would have to stay in the bag at that price to prevent it getting muddy or torn:p

I fairly recently bought a Rambo duo, which was £225... Stupid price for a rug in my opinion!! But to be honest I do love it, it's the only rug I use (I even leave it on in the stable), and it's very versatile. I just hope it lasts a long time!!

I personally wouldn't. I don't think they are any better made than other brands such as Weatherbeeta and Masta.

It's a case of finding what fits your horse. I bought a second hand Amigo
Heavy Plus Combo for £30 (cleaned and reproofed and only worn for one winter; bargain!) and I like it, but I wouldn't have bought it new. I bought it because I needed a heavy turnout and it was a good price. Another bargain I picked up was a Weatherbeeta Taka combo for £25 because it had a small repair. It's done 3 winters with me and still in excellent condition.
When I bought Stevie just over 4 years ago, my mum treated me to a spanking new Taka - they'd just come out (with the belly flap etc) in the new design and it was £180. I still have it and of course I've had repairs done where he's torn it and things but I am pleased with it. Would I buy it again? Not unless I could get it at a good price. The only reason we paid that much was because it was a "treat" - my little TB chews rugs like its going out of fashion so he always had second hand rugs with patches and things because otherwise I'd have been bankrupt :p So Stevie's expensive jammies were an expensive treat for my shiney new horsie :D

I have just bought 3 ProTuff Extra heavyweight combos for £54.99 each (brand new). They're high denier (1250D I believe without looking lol) and 450g. They've arrived today so I will keep you all updated on how well they wear :D

I have got a Rambo and yes it is a good heavy weight but to be honest would not pay it again. One it is a lot of money especially for them to go and rip it and there are some just as good rugs about to buy for a lot less and you would not be half as bothered if they ripped that than a £200 rug :eek: Also I dont think they are a good fit. My horse is 14-2 heavy weight cob and the 6 ft 9 does not go anywhere near his neck so he can only have the rug and not the neck piece

also derby house did have a cracking sale on and have just bought mine some medium weights from there and at less than the quarter of the price of a rambo one :D

I remember those...and the jute rugs for indoors :D

I paid over £200 for my rambo duo and it's great and it's on it's 2nd winter and at the moment is one pretty much 24/7 ind out, however I have also bought other rambos in the last couple of months (because like others I have rugs from 10 yrs ago) but have been disappointed with the quality. Rhinos seem to be better despite being the budget range :confused:

I used to like Bucas, but they are nor really stocked round here and I'm not a fan of buying rugs online :(

Last edited:
Would I pay £200 for a Rambo rug, I take it your talking about the Rambo Duo. My answer is Yes and I did.

I bought a Rambo Plus which was the top Rambo Rug at £165 9 years ago and it is still as good as the day I bought it. The Rambo Duo I bought for my other horse I also bought an extra liner so I could change it depending on the temp of the weather.

I love Rambo rugs and won't buy anything else.

I did a few years ago pay £55 for a masta turnout as a spare and ended up paying over £250 in repairs, so cheaper doesn't always work.

I also like weatherbeeta rugs but at the time of looking I found they were all too tight across the chest.

newrider.com