Would you still compete ?

Me neither. I can't weigh up my friend - she is still doing the rounds with her two. Each to their own, but for me (even if I did want to compete which I don't) it would be a huge no no right now and for the forseeable. It's not something that's necessary in my opinion.

Reactions: Huggy
That depends, there's a fun ride on not too far from us in a couple of weeks, they have made provision for electronic payment and getting you a number and password before the day, so no need to go into a secretary's office, just shout the number and password to the person at the start as you set off. No need for physical contact, no need to be within 2m or around anyone for long. So if things stay the same or improve I may go, but if they get worse (which I expect) then I won't.

It's a hard one. I'll continue to hack out until told otherwise - I don't need to be in contact with anyone while out. I had a stonking cold until a few days ago - I wouldn't say I self isolated, but I certainly didn't go out and about as much. Didn't do weekly shop, cancelled hair appt and dates with friends , warned other dog walkers to keep their distance etc. Honestly , I think it was just a cold, but my life is such that I can't just stop dead - too many people rely on me. My daughter had a mild cold, and is doing her 1st year nursing placement, and they told her to carry on as normal. Of course if they shut everyone down, that's a different scenario.

I wouldn't. The closes contact with people like you say is when you first turn up to register. I usually go round on my own. But my mum will take me as I can't tow but she just sits in the car. Unless of course your unlucky enough to have a fall and need medical attention whilst out on the ride. Oh and of course the cue for the porta loos. Some of them ain't good at the best of times. Think of how many people touch the doors on them.
I personally would just do a long hack out in my own.

I am not doing any unnecessary travel, my cob is essential travel. Other things have been altered to be remotely.
Apart from food.

I am on Thursday and my yard is still having comps. It’s dressage so people arriving at different times.

Ten in my classes so mostly the same people in each class.

No Registration passport is done as you arrive in the car park so only one person at a time and you don’t leave your car,

It’s a massive car park I will not be in contact with any one the results are placed on a table outside so I can collect my when no one is there

Reactions: Huggy and Jessey
I dont compete so it will not arise - however I will still continue to hack out (well when the wretched weather picks up again) we live in a very isolated area so my hacking is not the sort where you meet other riders, dog walkers or pretty much anyone really. I think with this all getting more serious (well over here anyway) I will need my ride out to keep me from freaking out about it all! :eek: :D

If I can stop worrying for long enough I'm going to play with Zi in the school, he enjoyed it the other day and it was fun setting up stuff for him to do.

Spent to day with my boys rode both didn’t see a sole on the yard the whole time. Someone went in the outdoor after me saw fro a distance as I turned out

If Ben was able to compete, and I had a lorry to go out in, then yes I would carry on. Riding doesn't really bring you in close contact with anyone, unless you chose to be. It's outside so there is a good flow of air, whilst on a horse you are always at least 2m's away from anyone else and you don't have to go inside to collect test sheets/check results etc. Very often the results are updated online and rosettes and test sheets can be posted.

I dont get this though. When horse flu was about people said they wouldn't risk taking there horse to events. Even though like you say, they dont have to be in close contact. One in the ring at a time etc. Funrides you are well spaced out. Yet people are still prepared to go to places with there horses because the virus effects us not there beloved horse.
If we get sick though there might not be anyone to look after your horse so potentially they could suffer as well.

No. I have upped my metaphorical drawbridge. No one in or out unless actual emergency. Limiting my family's contact with the outside world. We have a vet appointment that is essential and that is even in doubt but we will go and stand well back.
I have an actual drawbridge, just replaced the chains and everything. ;)
Pitchfork on standby.

Depending on what the vet appointment is, I would reschedule or do remotely. My favourite word right with contactless. Seriously though I have emailed my vet over a lump and they said they didn't need to attend until her jabs, this was a few years back.

Reactions: Trewsers
If Ben was able to compete, and I had a lorry to go out in, then yes I would carry on. Riding doesn't really bring you in close contact with anyone, unless you chose to be. It's outside so there is a good flow of air, whilst on a horse you are always at least 2m's away from anyone else and you don't have to go inside to collect test sheets/check results etc. Very often the results are updated online and rosettes and test sheets can be posted.
When people used to see us arrive they would leave. :p

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Trewsers and Huggy
No. I have upped my metaphorical drawbridge. No one in or out unless actual emergency. Limiting my family's contact with the outside world. We have a vet appointment that is essential and that is even in doubt but we will go and stand well back.

Same here. I'm knocking the routine ones on the head for now.

newrider.com