Wound Pad/Cover Help

No_Angel

Apr 20, 2003
Ireland
Just wondering if anyone had any ideas that could help with our issue.

We have a Springer boy who was diagnosed with a Sarcoma on his stomach, he had a biopsy done and the tumor started to grow quite rapidly, he now has a rather large open wound on his stomach.

We have been using nappies to cover the wound, but now it seems to have grown again and the nappies are getting a bit small, we've looked at adult nappies, wound dressings, puppy pads and incontinence pads but they all work out fairly expensive and as we have to change him 2-3 times a day it gets a bit pricey.

Anyone have any ideas of anything that could be used that is similar to a nappy or a place you can buy cheaper incontinence pads in bulk?

Poor doggy. Have you tried ebay? Sometimes you can buy sanitary towels etc in a job lot which works out a bit cheaper. Some of the online chemists might be worth a try???
Nappies are expensive. I think tesco sell their own brand incontinence pads, not sure if they are reasonably priced, they generally are pretty good on stuff like that.

I used to buy puppy pads cheap as chips, I think £4 for 30.....
If not could you get some old fashioned terry nappies (or chop up old towels) and wash them between uses?

The nappies we use at the moment are about £1.50 for 20 nappies from tesco. Postage is a killer here. We are thinking we might do the reusable nappy option now and see if we can get a bigger area covered with them, I don't think they will be as absorbent as the throw away nappies though.

Would Gamgee on a roll work out too expensive? more than likely I expect :( does the wound need to drain? if not could the vet get you some of that sticky wound/surgery plastic type stuff??? might be able to be kept on for longer....

Yea he has a lot of 'gunk' come out of the wound and it needs changed frequently as he gets distressed if he can smell it. Vet explained to us that it basically has no blood supply to the outside of the sarcoma so the outside will 'rot' and come away, which is what we are catching in the nappy. Unfortunately there's nothing that can be done with it and it can't be removed so we just have to make him as comfortable as possible whilst he is still happy and active and 'himself'. :(

newrider.com