Wow!! Very scarey

Star the Fell

Jun 14, 2015
Just driven home alongside the huge fire on the moors over Bolton. It is getting very close to the main road now.
Helicopters are taking water from the reservoirs to dump on the fire.
The road I usually use to get to work is now closed to all traffic. There are a couple of livery yards/ private yards along that road, I assume they will be having to move the horses if it gets any closer.

I live around 5 miles from the fire and can see the huge clouds of smoke drifting over.

It is really scary when fire takes hold of a big area like that, we had one a couple of years ago but luckily that only took about 30 acres, with it about 2 miles (all forest) from the horses it was worrying but they controlled it pretty quickly, I can't imagine how you and others closer must feel with that one still going on :(

We had 6 forest fires locally just last weekend, thankfully all small and contained, though one kept re-ignighting for several days, our local fire station are still going out and damping that area.

I can only imagine how scary it must be being so close to it. We had a big fire on Kefalonia last year that we watched coming down the mountain at a alarmingly fast pace, it was horrible to see it getting ever closer to the homes up there.
We were in awe of the fire planes there too, they have to get so close to drop the water and on a mountainside with gusting winds it can’t have been easy!
I hope you all stay safe and they can get it under control soon x

newrider.com