Writing to a previous owner...

Midnight_Ashes

Apr 1, 2008
County Durham
I bought Louise from my YO as most of you know. She bought her from a lady in Withernsea who I am in contact with. I believe that lady bought her from the breeder. However that lady's name is not on the passport as she wasn't registered until 28th September 2009 (when YO bought her). Her breeder's name is listed, a lady in Hull. Would it be alright to send a letter to the breeder? Her sire is listed on her passport but her dam is just listed as "Judy" - no breeding etc. I am just curious as to what her dam was (I am told Section C) and any other information the lady could give me. Her address is obviously on the passport as she bred the mare.
...do you think she would mind?

This is what I have written, does it sound alright?

I have recently purchased a Welsh Part Bred mare and you are listed as her breeder. I am writing in the hope that you may have some information on her dam or possibly a photo of her as a foal. Her registered name is Fernbeck Louise (W.P-B.R. 22635) and she is a grey roan mare foaled on 26th July 2004 out of “Judy” by “Malnor Copper Pride 33963 (GBR) (D)”. She was registered by XXXXXX of Dalton Back Lane, Billingham on 28th September 2009 and this is the lady I bought her from. However I believe that she purchased her from a lady in Withernsea named XXXXX, this lady also had my mare’s brother Peter Pan (registered as Fernbeck Fairytale). I am just curious as to some of her history and I hope you don’t mind me contacting you. You will be pleased to know she has matured into a wonderful little mare and is now in a home for life with me, along with my four other horses. Peter Pan is liveried on the same yard as myself and he too is a lovely little pony who is in a five star home with a lady named Lisa.
I have enclosed a stamped, self addressed envelope if you have time to respond to me, or alternatively my email address is XXXX@aol.co.uk. I would be grateful for any information you might have.

Kind regards

Jen Green

I think your letter is fine. I also think they shouldn't mind.

I traced my Ex fell pony via the net and we met up with her new owners at the southern fell show last year, when were collecting Lunan. They are happy to stay intouch with and let me know how she gets on.

Also when I registered Eva change of ownership last year with the Fell society her breeder got in touch with me and sent me some photos of her as a foal :)

I hope you get to be as lucky tracing louises past :)

I spoke to Jack's breeder and i traced the owner of my 23 year old horse, she was delighted to know that at 23 she was in kind loving home until the end.

newrider.com