WWYD - sorry long

CharliesAngel

Jan 15, 2010
we have a narrow track/road that goes through our croft and it leads on to another few houses. It’s very quiet, basically it’s just we have fields on either side of it really. We get occasional walkers and people do like to walk up when we have foals. We also have sheep, and lambs in spring.

Now along the road is a lovely family with 2 boys, roughly 8 and 14 ish. They have 2 small terriers and all credit to them they are constantly out walking them. The problem is, they dont seem to see the need for leads. Even if the parents are walking the dogs they are racing on ahead off the lead and out of control. There have been a few times when Ive been riding or walking my own dogs and been faced with these dogs bombing along with the owners nowhere in sight - they are always several hundred yards behind. They always apologise profusely, shout and panic to try and get the dogs and usually fail. Last year I caught the boys throwing a ball for the dogs over one of our walls and into the field with mares & foals. I gave them a strict talking to and they seemed to take it on board. A few weeks later I noticed the ponies in one of our other fields over the back , racing about.. when I checked it out, one of these dogs was in there loose and chasing them :( I went along to the house and spoke to the mother, who apologised, was in tears and said she had been trying to catch it to no avail and now didnt know what to do ?! I felt so sorry for her I offered to help her and gave her some advice ( i ran dog training classes and did behavioural 1:1’s for years), I ultimately told her they needed to make sure their garden was escape proof and keep them on a lead if they can’t control them, even when just going through between our fields. She was so apologetic and I thought that would be it solved. However a few weeks back I was in one the fields rounding up the sheep with one of the dogs and was *just* about to pen them when the dogs appeared along the track, one came under the gate and the other over the wall and boom, sheep everywhere. I was fuming. It was the teenage lad on this occasion and I got “ oh sorry sorrry i didnt realise you would be working the sheep ?!” again, I spoke to him about keeping them on a lead. Then yesterday, just as it was going dark, I was pushing a barrow laden with feeds down our track and had MiniCA with me helping. Our track is completely enclosed with fences and wall on each side and gates at the bottom. (We were heading down to feed the ponies and sheep across the road) Anyway, the dogs appeared along the road, saw us, belted over the wall, through the fence, barking like mad and started jumping all over us barking. Mini is well used to dogs but was scared... the lady appeared, shouting oh sorry sorry and shouting the dogs to no avail. I ended up having to open the gates to return the dogs to her, one of them shot off and disappeared and she put the other on the lead and went off on her walk, not knowing where the first one had gone :eek: !!

I am now wondering if I am being too nice :( The boys were walking them this morning, I happened to be looking out of the window across the fields and they saw me and started leaning over the wall and scooping water out of one of our troughs with the ball flinger thingy and chucking it towards the ponies - in this case, a stallion and 2 colts. They then waved cheerfully at me!

Ive told them the consequences if the dogs are out of control and chase our livestock and so far Ive not taken it any further. I love dogs and whenever I stop to pass the time of day with this lady she seems so nice, its like they genuinely are ignorant about it.... or I thought so, now Im wondering if they are deliberately carrying on regardless. I hate the thought of conflict but I don't know what else to do other than speak to the dog warden now :(

You've tried everything to help & accommodate them, I'd now be going to the dog warden or possibly if the lady really is that nice I'd tell her first that that was what I will be doing. In the case of the two boys I would either ball them out and speak to the mother as well or just speak to the mother. I would explain in no uncertain terms just quite what a stallion is capable of doing in the case of defence. I'm afraid my patience would basically be finished.

If there is any chance of these dogs chasing your livestock then there's a chance of them HURTING your livestock. I really don't think you can be too strict about this. You've made your feelings known and tried to educate them but they're still not getting the point. It doesn't sound like they really understand how serious this could be. I don't know what the dog wardens do in this situation but I wouldn't hesitate to involve them at this point. It has to be stopped before it goes too far... especially if you've got lambs coming. Last week on Facebook I saw some truly hideous photos of some sheep that had been mauled by loose dogs in Argyll. I won't go into detail but their faces had literally been ripped and chewed off, the photos were like something from a horror movie yet they were still alive despite their serious injuries and must have suffered so much before they were euthanised. If I was in your situation I'd be tempted to show them those photos to try and shock them into getting the point!

Reactions: OwnedbyChanter
Sorry to hear you're having a few issues. I honestly don't know what advice to offer. I'll be interested to see what others offer advice wise. It does seem odd that the mother seems okay yet the dog thing carries on? Hmm.

I think you have to escalate it. You are kind, but the family must be either completely hapless or completely reckless to carry on as they are.

I don't know the right way to escalate. If you have a dog warden it would be good to involve them. Otherwise maybe a letter saying that the dogs are threatening your stock and are liable to be shot if they are seen loose in your fields. I am no expert, I just think a warning in writing might protect you if you do have to take strong action.

Sorry but yes you are being far to nice, I’d be speaking to them as a family and I would be telling them about my shotgun licience and that dogs ‘worrying livestock’ is a serious offence and that they as the dogs owner are liable for any and all injury the dogs may cause to either yourselves or your livestock, I know technically farmers can’t shoot a dog unless they catch it actually in the act of causing injury and I’m not suggesting you do but it could be worth pointing out the very serious consequences if they don’t keep the dogs under control.
Point them in the direction of this website
www.nidirect.gov.uk/articles/controlling-your-dog-public#toc-3

Reactions: Prjsmk
Once is a mistake, twice is taking the p, 3rd time would be time to get a bit more formal for me. I would write to them, hand deliver and explain in no uncertain terms (it doesn't have to be rude or particularly confrontational) and get the warden or police in on the loop.

thanks guys. I have explained to her that we have a gun license and they could be shot, Ive also explained she would be liable for damage and vets bills and she seemed to take it all on board. I even got a text message from her last year saying sorry and thanking me for being so nice about it when she would have understood me taking a much harsher line. This said, I don’t understand why they haven’t taken it on board.

I spoke to one of the other landowner neighbours this morning and they feel exactly the same way and apparently they have been in chasing the cows as well.

So.... Ive printed off a current news article from Police Scotland to take along to them and Ive ordered some plastic signs stating the control of animals act / right to shoot.

dreading having to speak to her again, wish me luck

Sorry does NOT keep cutting it.

It would totally piss me off.
I'm Not A dog person and this I don't know what to do crap from her sorry it's just CRAP.

Don't let them loose off a leash PERIOD
that's what you do.

And does anyone like that ever think to
Fence their $>6% [_$>__*^*/ Yard
PROPERLY!!!!!

We have leash laws out here.
And I also think we have the
You can shoot to protect your livestock as well.

So reading them the riot act was well warranted.

Reactions: Trewsers
I do have the funniest feeling nothing short of a warning shot or hit is going to make them sit up and pay attention.

It’s sad as it’s not the dogs fault but the owners. It they pay for it :(

Have u got signs up saying keep dogs on leads around livestock etc? Let them know if one of your animals is hurt by the dog or loose dog causes unnessacry stress its a police matter. Uve been more than nice enough now!

this is what ive just ordered, 2, one for each end of the road.

mQ54a0e.png

you know, the lack of respect makes me almost feel violated somehow :(

Where have u ordered them from would like some for my field... Behind us is sheep fields with lambs and then our horse fields... The amount of loose dog is unreal! Even though on the sheep gates there is signs (footpath goes through sheep fields and past our back fences) the amount of dogs that jump the fence and chase the horses! Got cctv signs up and no tresspassing but id like one of these too so many people arent aware that farmers are permitted to shoot

i took the wording from the police scotland news report :)

having written it all out here im more worried now tbh, i think i was mentally sweeping it under the carpet a bit. If anything happened to any of my mares/foals Id be inconsolable. Likewise if they got in when MiniCA’s bantams / ducks were free ranging I cant imagine the devastation :eek:
and my little ginger rescue foal who instead of getting turned out in the fields with the other guys gets to go out on the garden lawn and graze up and down the sides of the track... :( After all the work i have put in with her, if she got scared and caught up in a fence or injured by their dog Id be beside myself :(

I totally agree

Last year a dog was shot killing chickens.
And omg the big stink all over the news
This horrible person KILLED our family pet he played with our kids .
Every time it was on the news it annoyed the crap out of me.
Those chickens were HIS FAMILY PETS.

I COULD NEVER BE A REPORTER.
I would NOT last long. I'd be told to go
Interview those Poor people that lost the family dog.
I would NOT be able to keep my mouth
Shut.

newrider.com