WWYD?

lauren123

Feb 3, 2007
East Yorkshire
This is a similar thread to the stable sizes thread however I was wondering what you would all do if you were me.
On the other yards I have been on the boxes have normally been quite narrow and long 15x10 generally. Sox is long in the body and sometime his full length would be the same width of the stable! So he could never really stand horizontal.
However We noticed he would generally be cleaner in that set up as he would eat his feed and hay at one end, sometimes poo on the matts if we were lucky and sleep at the other end. I would normally get around 1/2-3/4 of a barrow out of him per day.

Were as on the current yard the box is 10 x13. So his nets and water are at the top near his door and his bed at the back, but as he is so long its always half on the bedding and half off it. He also box walks too along with lying down every night. I seem to be going through shavings very quickly at the moment. With him been a big horse I like him to atleast have a deep bed but I either end up taking loads out or he messes it all up. I am going to see what his like if I give him a deep smaller bed ( just not brought as far forward) He was on straw but I have been on shavings for years I had to go back to shavings. Anyone got any ideas? I used to go through 4 bales of shavings per month! Due to a few issues that have cropped up recently I think I have used 3-4 since the start of the month!

I'm surprised to see no answers for you here :(. Having said that sadly I haven't any advice as I'm pretty inexperienced......

I would deep litter personally to ensure he has a good deep bed aswell as saving money! Unless you can get rubber mats put down. As long as the stable is clean and comfy when he goes in, it dosent really matter if he trashes the place!

The obvious is get a bigger stable, turn out more. I would be worried about him getting cast with his size and your width.

Reactions: Trewsers
I cant really get a bigger stable unless I go onto the other yard and the other yard has bigger stables as in its longer and narrower but much smaller fields. He can actually lie down quite happily now were as before I thought he would struggle.

We have a TB mare on our yard that's dreadfully messy. They now just put a bank of shavings in a corner where she wees and leave the rest bare - she's on mats. She still poos everywhere and box walks it round and round so mucking out consists of just sweeping everything out and putting fresh shavings in the wee corner. It isn't ideal because if she lies down it's got to be in the poo - it's literally everywhere - so her rugs stink, but it's saving a fortune in bedding. I don't really know if it's a good idea, but must admit when she had a proper bed of shavings she still trashed it with her constant pooing and box walking, so she wasn't any cleaner.

I'm on woodchip shavings (Equichip) and I deep bed. Toffee rolls and kicks his shavings around and due to the fact he is in at the minute, I'm going through more. I'm getting through about 6 bags a month. Usually it's about 4.

I deep bed and do a full muck out once a month. I make his bed about 6" deep and do nice high banks. Then I skip the poo out and cover the wee with shavings from the banks. When the banks go too low, I replenish them from the bag I have in my tack room If the wee gets too high to the top, I just dig a little out and fill in with dry shavings. He usually does ok like this. Occasionally when I go in the morning, he's had a party and there is poo and wet shavings EVERYWHERE. When that happens, I get all the poo out first and then work my way over the wet patches just taking the worst off and filling with clean shavings to level the bed off.

He doesn't box walk as such but he does move around and he loves a good roll. He also seems to like digging a hole over one side right down the mats which is annoying lol

newrider.com