Wwyd?

Jessey

Dec 20, 2004
Suffolk, UK
I'm having a conundrum, honestly my brain is just so fried with other stress I can't think straight right now so would really appreciate your thoughts.
Normally I have hay from P, but after Jess loosing weight this year I was looking to diversify my supply (it's good, clean, consistent hay but very low nutritional value which is ideal when they're fat). Jess is very sensitive to hay and it can tip her into LGL and she is a bit prone to colic so I have to be super careful.
This month I brought a different hay from L, looks great but is shorter and softer. I duly mixed it with P's for a week (and been on just L for a week now) but she has been really grumpy this week, not eating it well, wasting 25% (very unlike her) and the boys mostly opted to eat with Indie who had a bale of W hay.
I have pre paid for enough of L to last 8+ weeks. I'd budgeted for another 2 weeks worth this month from W. P is more than twice the price and comes in 4 week batches.
My choices as far as I can see;
A) leave Jess on L and give the boys W as planned
B) give the boys L (and hope they eat it), give Jess W (which she's not had before)
C) give the boys L and get P for Jess

B and C mean I have to move an open hesston (best part of half a ton of loose hay) out of the barn into the trailer late one evening before Saturday when I have every normal waking hour allocated to doing stuff before I go away. And C leaves me skint.
D) give them all a mix of 2 types

If I was here I'd do A or D and monitor, but as I'm not I feel like C is the smart choice, or is my brain that addled that I'm being neurotic and over thinking it all o_O

Oh heck! That's too much to think about when you're busy prepping for a trip as it is. Hmm. I wouldn't like to have to devote loads of time to moving a huge amount into the trailer. But, I think I'd be half tempted to buy P for Jess - given that's she's fussy over the hay and you're not going to be there to monitor. Hope I've got the right end of the stick ! lol Now I'm addled on your behalf ahahahhaaaa.
Hopefully someone with some sense on here will know which option to choose (I am hopeless!)

Reactions: Jessey
I'd certainly put Jess back on P's and adjust her bucket feed to give her any extra calories you think she needs. If the boys only problem is they don't like whatever else you have then I'm afraid I'd work on the theory they'll eat it if they're hungry and nothing else is on offer.

Or E give jess p and continue the boys on w till you get back. Then do D option when your back.
Id keep jess on what she likes and is suiting her. Dont change if its going to make her grumpy. If its only her eating it, i know its twice the price but its worth it if it suits her gut.

Or E give jess p and continue the boys on w till you get back. Then do D option when your back.
Id keep jess on what she likes and is suiting her. Dont change if its going to make her grumpy. If its only her eating it, i know its twice the price but its worth it if it suits her gut.
Unfortunately I don't have the space to do that, I have to empty L out of the barn to fit P in.

newrider.com