Yard Politics

Jessey

Dec 20, 2004
Suffolk, UK
I was so lucky to find additional grazing for this summer, and in a really really fabulous location with really lovely people, but its got a little complicated. My 3 friends (with 4 ponies) have been there for years (one of them over 30 years!). The woman who owned it died last year and her daughter is now running the place (there's the horses and a couple of holiday lets).

Earlier in the week I was just generally chatting to the owner and saying that mine will go home soon, and she asked me to graze another field before I go that isn't part of the bit my friends rent, I agreed to look at it and randomly commented 'perhaps they (my friends) will have me back next summer if there is too much grass for them again and the owner said, 'well their contract is up on June 1st and business is business' .... I'm aware there has been some issues between my friends and the owner/her son, but really thought it was just niggles.

Then last night I was talking to her ex hubby (who I know through working at the pub, he lives at my end of the field and supplies my water) and he said that the owner and their son really want me to stay on full time with all 4 horses. I explained to him the other 2 really can't go on grass, and that as I have mains power at home its much easier for winter.

I feel like I need to clarify with the owner. I am obviously not going to take over the whole yard if my friends get ousted, and probably need to tell them what was said. Politics is why I don't do shared yards 😬 I think my friends will let me keep subletting the bit I am in, year round, if I want. But it gets really wet underfoot and I'm just not sure I can face doing 2 yards in winter. I am quite happy to leave Hank and Niko there until the clocks change as it's working well for me.

Reactions: MrC
Umm, your in a tricky spot. If she intends to kick your friends off 1st june, they might feel there getting pushed out by you. So you could inadvertently upset and loose your friends. On the other hand if its working well for you having extra grazing you want to keep your options open. Maybe if your bringing the boys back in the next couple of weeks see i you could go back for a month before the clocks change so you can make use of any autumn flush for Niko. Then maybe arrange to go back at spring clock change and early next year as soon as it dries up enough.

Reactions: Jessey
Oh gaah what a situation. I struggle with politics even on our tiny yard, I don't envy you. I would tell my friends what's going on, but it's hard to do that, isn't it?

Wow I’d be having an upfront chat with your friends about this as you could end up getting both barrels from both sides!

If you don't tell your friend, you run the risk of the owner saying to her "well I did tell Jessey, I thought she would have mentioned it" and you still end up in an awkward position. Tricky. Rock and a hard place spring to mind...

Yep I plan to tell my friends, only reason I haven't done it yet is I want to talk to them in person not by text! I don't want the owner (or them) thinking I'm stirring up trouble if she catches wind that I've told them, but equally I can't just not tell them and she didn't ask me not to say anything 🤷‍♀️ The boys were meant to come home this weekend but I think I'm going to try stay as long as I can and don't really want to fall out with either party as would love to go back in spring (even if only until June 1st!)

Phew, spoke with my friend, told her what happened and she was grateful of the heads up.
Apparently they have their half and my half on separate agreements and paid a year up front on my side so she thinks it’s probably just them angling to let that half to me directly, probably because my friend just paid a flat fee for it, but if they did a per horse thing like they do for the rest they’d earn a lot more off of it.
The son came out to ask me as well tonight, so I explained my other 2 can’t really have grass most of the year so it wouldn’t be feasible to bring all 4 there, but I’m happy for summer time grazing for Hank and Niko, so hopefully that’s the end of that!

newrider.com