Yay! Riding in a halter and we love it

I had been dreading riding in a halter with a single rein...but we both loved it! He was better in the halter than he was in his bridle :rolleyes: After the initial...oh my god I have no control...I relaxed and we had the most relaxed and happy session we have ever had! It was slightly erratic as our steering is not quite right yet (especially as he is wearing Pablo's halter:eek: ).

Attachments

• rupert parelli2.jpg
    rupert parelli2.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 196
He even forgave me my botched attempts to get the rope over his head:rolleyes: Eventually I managed to master it and we even managed to ride down a set of cones without missing any out.

Look how relaxed he looks, I was amazed!

Forgive my position - it went out of the window rather as I was trying to master the one rein riding :eek:

Attachments

• rupert parelli3.jpg
    rupert parelli3.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 193
Yeah Esther!!! Well done - its great once you've got ovr that initial fear of not having a bit.

Its amazing how well they go in the halter, it really surprised me too, instantly had more brakes and more control. The steering will come very quickly, then you'll be troting with one rein, then cantering, etc, etc.

You'll have that L1 video done in no time at all!

p.s. Our video's got posted on Wednesday, but they say there's a 3 - 4 week wait :( Want to know now!!!

You both look really great:D

Can't wait to catch up to you, I'm still practising with the chair in the garden, swinging the rope into my face and missing the savvy string when I lift the carrot stick:rolleyes:
LOL
Well done and what a lovely spot you have there in Northumberland.

Sarah
xxxx

Looks really good... really relaxed :D I also had trouble throwing the rope over the head to start with.. even harder as Ferdie has a very long neck and pokes his nose out, so it just kept getting caught! I got it worked out eventually though.

It's funny how quickly you get confident with the halter riding - I know that I verge on the daredevil side of riders, but I was out in the fields cantering by the end of the first week (I was riding in it every day though) and by the end of the second week I had jumped cross country and was doing some odd high speed form of flying changes - great fun :D OK so I did perhaps take things a bit faster than is totally sensible, but I think you will surprise yourself with how you improve from now on - halter riding is addictive.

Lovely Photos :)

Rachel xx

I don't think he does like the bit particularly, if you look at photos of him with and without a bit there is a visible difference in relaxation. We are aiming to stay bitless if he is happy and controllable that way (so far so good). I would have to think again if I want to drive him, but that is way in the future at the moment :)

newrider.com