Yeah 14.3/15hh at Maturity my butt

MrC

https://m.facebook.com/MrKiasLife/
Nov 10, 2014
Uk
m.facebook.com
So this was Faran having a play in the indoor with my friends horses. The coloured is 15.3hh and the chestnut 16.2/3 :cool:

C6B32B13-E39B-4701-9BA7-4D7F2D25FD5C.jpeg

Bloody baby elephant lol

• Love
Reactions: Huggy
Hmm, sounds a bit like Jim - breeder said he'd mature at 16hh tops, both her daughters said he wasn't going to make that and if I wanted over 15.2 look at something else. I still lie to myself and say he was a full up 16.2, but if I'm forced to be honest I'd say 17 was closer to the mark. 15.2 would have been plenty!

And then there's Little Un who it was thought might make nearly 15hh and will just about measure in at 14.2 on tip toe, I'd have loved an extra couple of inches on him - he might not struggle with me but we'd look a better match.

Reactions: MrC
Hmm, sounds a bit like Jim - breeder said he'd mature at 16hh tops, both her daughters said he wasn't going to make that and if I wanted over 15.2 look at something else. I still lie to myself and say he was a full up 16.2, but if I'm forced to be honest I'd say 17 was closer to the mark. 15.2 would have been plenty!

And then there's Little Un who it was thought might make nearly 15hh and will just about measure in at 14.2 on tip toe, I'd have loved an extra couple of inches on him - he might not struggle with me but we'd look a better match.

your little un is probably the size I was expecting him to make with a 14.1hh dad and a slightly larger mum but I was told that he should make about his mums height or slightly bigger. Obviously not lol ach well as long as he tops out at no bigger than 16hh I should be ok. Too short for anything bigger that will be as wide as he will be lol:p

If he makes bigger you'll cope, you'll be riding him before he's finished and so the last bit you get used to gradually. Plus you learn to lengthen your stirrups and lie to yourself lol

Ah yes but the bum makes him look bigger. :)
Actually mine used to use her to knock into other horses!
She didn't make the estimated height. But yours well, be funny to see won't it. :D

Ah yes but the bum makes him look bigger. :)
Actually mine used to use her to knock into other horses!
She didn't make the estimated height. But yours well, be funny to see won't it. :D

he’s already measuring about 15hh at the butt:p:cool: little midden better slow down haha

Last edited:
I'm jealous! 15.1/2 would have been perfect for Little Un, big enough to look better on but still small enough to be lots of fun with a pony nature. I guess it depends on build too - even if they'd been the same size Jim would have ridden a lot bigger than Little Un, he was built for pure power and athleticism whereas Little Un is lighter and more rideable if matters do get heated.

Seriously I think you'll be fine with him whatever size he makes. You'll know him so well and have developed together, he could be 17hh - he won't be! - and you'd still feel right on him. You might need a rope ladder on the back of the saddle though!

What is he measuring on a stick? he still looks a good bit smaller than the coloured there. Jess was 14.2hh at 18 months and got to 15.1 by the time she was rising 3 and never went higher, just wider.

What is he measuring on a stick? he still looks a good bit smaller than the coloured there. Jess was 14.2hh at 18 months and got to 15.1 by the time she was rising 3 and never went higher, just wider.

hes between 14.3 and 15hh on the stick on a flat surface just now at his butt.

If he stops at 15hh and gets wider that’s fine by me. But his legs are still super model long so he’s definitely going to go up more. Just by how much is the question

Last edited:
Reactions: Jessey
Some welshies do stay fairly leggy so I wouldn't go too much by that as a guide. Thinking about it Little Un made his height fairly early, then seemed to drop down into his legs before finally filling out at about 6/7. I remember buying rugs a bit on the big side at 3 thinking he'd grow into them but he never did and I ended up selling them on as he stayed in the size he was in as 2yo. Whereas I bought Jim several nice rugs in a sale as a rising 6yo and he barely wore them because by the next winter they were all too tight and he ended up two sizes bigger with only a few makes that would fit him even in those.

Don't worry about it, it won't change anything anyway ;)

Some welshies do stay fairly leggy so I wouldn't go too much by that as a guide. Thinking about it Little Un made his height fairly early, then seemed to drop down into his legs before finally filling out at about 6/7. I remember buying rugs a bit on the big side at 3 thinking he'd grow into them but he never did and I ended up selling them on as he stayed in the size he was in as 2yo. Whereas I bought Jim several nice rugs in a sale as a rising 6yo and he barely wore them because by the next winter they were all too tight and he ended up two sizes bigger with only a few makes that would fit him even in those.

Don't worry about it, it won't change anything anyway ;)

Yup if he stays this height and goes wide then I’m grand. Kia was only 14.3hh and Eowyn 15.2hh I’m riding a 16hh cob at the moment and Logan was 16hh so that’s really my comfort zone. Is between 14.2hh and 16hh I can ride bigger/shorter (when I’m lighter) but everyone prefers a height don’t they :)

newrider.com