You know when they are just not right.

MrA

Feb 8, 2012
Ale just wasn't quite his normal self today. The yard hayed him last night but he was absolutely fine yesterday morning.

All outward signs were fine this morning, he'd eaten last night, normal amount of poop, drunk normally, he pooped while I was there this morning looked absolutely fine and no trouble passing it. He doesn't look gassy, doesn't feel hot or cold, breathing normally. I'll take him temp when I get back up there but been forced to go into work for a few hours at least.

He ate a small amount of hay them really wasn't interested. Not his usual pacing up and down at the sight of food. He stood and waited until I was in the field this morning and then called to me slightly differently than normal then did walk over to me and try the hay. Then he promptly left it after less than 10 mins and went and stood quietly by the fence line again. Not a normal response from him.

After checking him all over I moved the fence line to give him a small amount of grass and he was eating that more enthusiastically when I left.

You know when you know they are just not quite themselves. Although he's not really showing any colic signs I'm praying it's not that or anything serious. Hopefully be leaving work in a few hours to check on him and the yard are all going to see how he is through out the morning.

I did notice him crunching when he ate the hay this morning and saw an acorn so I've taken all the hay out and won't use the rest of the bale until I've checked it.

I'll have a better look when I get back up there soon just hope he's okay

Horrible isn't it when you know something just isn't right, fingers crossed he's back to his normal self later.

Reactions: MrA
He seemed a little perkier when I got here about an hour ago. He had no interest in that hay but I've switched to New bale and given him a small amount damp which he's eating all of. Temp was normal. He's just doing everything very lethargically. 4 poos that all look good since half 6 this morning. No signs of colic, not kicking or rolling or fast breathing. Does look like the hay he had last night and for the last couple of days had acorns in though or whatever these are. Any ideas. Obviously we are monitoring him really closely and will ring vet if he worsens or anything Screenshot_2020-01-04-11-34-39.pngScreenshot_2020-01-04-11-34-35.png

Reactions: Jessey
That looks more like a hazel nut than an acorn, and it won't do him any harm if it is although he might have scratched his mouth crunching it. Maybe he just didn't like that bale? Mine is greedy, but just occasionally he'll turn his nose up at a bale for no obvious reason - maybe a sore spot in his mouth plus an unappealing bale put him off eating and then he was feeling sorry for himself?

I'm glad he seems more like himself now.

That looks more like a hazel nut than an acorn, and it won't do him any harm if it is although he might have scratched his mouth crunching it. Maybe he just didn't like that bale? Mine is greedy, but just occasionally he'll turn his nose up at a bale for no obvious reason - maybe a sore spot in his mouth plus an unappealing bale put him off eating and then he was feeling sorry for himself?

I'm glad he seems more like himself now.
I did wonder if they were more of a nut, as the shell was very thick on them. Thank-you they do seem like hazelnuts. Interesting the shells I broke open in the hay were all complete (only a couple per slice) but there was no nuts inside. I'll check his mouth later I didn't think about that

He seemed a little perkier when I got here about an hour ago. He had no interest in that hay but I've switched to New bale and given him a small amount damp which he's eating all of. Temp was normal. He's just doing everything very lethargically. 4 poos that all look good since half 6 this morning. No signs of colic, not kicking or rolling or fast breathing. Does look like the hay he had last night and for the last couple of days had acorns in though or whatever these are. Any ideas. Obviously we are monitoring him really closely and will ring vet if he worsens or anything View attachment 101128View attachment 101129
They look like Hazel nuts Ale, I’m not 100 percent but don’t think they are harmful to horses.
Glad he seems a little bit better though x

Reactions: MrA
He looks brighter tonight again. More of an appetite in fact I would say that was back to normal. Regular amount of poo for a normal day and much more enthusiasm for food than earlier in the day. Fingers crossed he will be completely back to himself tomorrow! Thanks for listening everyone :)

He seemed himself this morning. Even went as far as telling the Shetland off and then they were grazing side by side 5 mins later. Unfortunately they then both touched the electric fence at the same time.

But he seems okay. I'd say slightly more gassy that usual for this time of year and had loud gut sounds this morning. But otherwise everything seems normal so will just keep a close eye.

Sadly found out last night that my landladies old horse (how we met, we used to help each other out down the yard year ago) had to go for colic surgery yesterday and had a large portion of his small intestine removed which is awful

Reactions: Jessey
He seemed himself this morning. Even went as far as telling the Shetland off and then they were grazing side by side 5 mins later. Unfortunately they then both touched the electric fence at the same time.

But he seems okay. I'd say slightly more gassy that usual for this time of year and had loud gut sounds this morning. But otherwise everything seems normal so will just keep a close eye.

Sadly found out last night that my landladies old horse (how we met, we used to help each other out down the yard year ago) had to go for colic surgery yesterday and had a large portion of his small intestine removed which is awful
good luck to him, they often colic again, hope he is lucky

I'm glad he's feeling better. Sometimes they seem to get the horse equivalent of "a bit of a cold" and be down and sad for a couple of days, then perk up again. Who knows?

Definitely a hazelnut by the way. Good horse food if their teeth are up to the crunching.

newrider.com