Youngster being gelded tomo, should I be with him, or put work first?

Dark Storm

Well I'll be a Krampus's Auntie! :D!
Jan 4, 2009
Hadfield
My colt is being gelded tomo, but I have no holidays left, and they'll only do this in the morning.. I want to be with him, but I'm torn, as I have organised some help, from a trusted friend, but I feel guilty that I should be there:(
I don't think i'd be able to concentrate..
It may not happen yet, as it's based on whether he's dropped properly, if not then its a wasted day without pay, but it may happen, so it wouldn't be... what would you suggest?

TBH Id go to work, in this current climate you dont want to give employers an excuse to sack you (sounds OTT but things like this do matter when it comes to the crunch!) Your little one wont be angry/ upset with you if your not there, thats why horses are great, they dont get annoyed in that way, unlike employers! :rolleyes:

I'm probably being over cautious:eek: It just seems such a major op for a young pony, I'm just worried about "what if there's complications?", "will it go ahead smoothly?" so many questions, I have my fingers and toes crossed:rolleyes:

I'd stay at work. When Jasper had his done he went into the vets to be done. Dropped him off one day picked him up the next. I just rang in the afternoon to check he was ok.

I'm sure He'll be fine :)

I'm probably being over cautious:eek: It just seems such a major op for a young pony, I'm just worried about "what if there's complications?", "will it go ahead smoothly?" so many questions, I have my fingers and toes crossed:rolleyes:

Difficult choice I know,but you need to keep your job to pay for him;)I'm sure if there were any problems at all your friend would phone you straight away:D:)
Good luck with it ,I'm sure he will be fine (maybe whinnying slightly higher than usual next time you see him though ) :eek::D Bless him

I would go to work and let friend deal with him.

I have several thoughts on this...

1 from memory- eugh seen it done- easy and painless but it is messy

2 from experience of having a young colt you will stress but as you are miles away you can not transfer it to colt and friend is not as involved with foal it will make it easier

3 he will not associate you with it all.... you were not there- be there for some fuss later.

I would work as well. I was with a mate when her Colt was gelded, tbh I found it absolutely fascinating BUT I was glad he didn't belong to me;)

Chances are if he is being operated on at the Vets they wouldn't let
you 'in' to watch anyway.

He will be sedated obviously so he is not going to know if you are there
or not:) I am sure he will be fine.

I was with my baby when he was done at 8 months. In addition to "holding his wee hoof" (so to speak:D) when the horrid vet sedated him I even got to help during the op which was really fascinating and it was such a relief to see him get on his feet....all over and done with so quickly.

However you've got to keep the job to look after your wee guy and I'm sure you're friend will send you text updates!

My two colts were done last year. They were at home, standing sedation in their own stables, which I think is less stressful for them. I was glad to be there as I could hold them and of course they know me. Everything went smoothly thank goodness.
If you have a trusted friend then I'm sure that will be fine

I actually wouldnt want to be there, I'm not sure I could look them in the eye as it was going on!

In all seriousness though, if you have a trusted friend I think you have to put work first. You are not being a bad owner in the slightest.

The vet wasn't able to do him in the end, as he has only dropped one and is hiding the other:rolleyes:.. I'm a bit frustrated as I just want to get it over with now, he's 16mths old, and I'm just a bit worried about a recent change of habits (pacing a fence where a couple of mares and a gelding recide), and don't want the dreaded phone call that my horse is tangled in barbed wire, or he's escaped into the field with them:eek:..
The vet said not to worry, as he's well handled, and still very young, so shouldn't be full on for quite a while yet.. I just wish I had her confidence:D

newrider.com