Youngster in pain?

Sparky0207

Sparky's slave!
Nov 28, 2008
Somerset
Recently broken 5 year old has started throwing her head up in the air and pinning her ears back when trotting in the arena. She's fine hacking and has been perfect in the arena since she was backed around 5 months ago.
Last week we went into the arena and in walk she was fine, as soon as I asked for trot she went forward although with less enthusiasm than normal but chucked her head up and ears flat back.
I've hacked her since then and she's been absolutely fine in all three paces but on three separate occasions she's done this in the arena.

Teeth were only done last month, back was done when she came into work and the saddler came out beginning of December and her saddle is fine. Something's obviously not right though!

Should add she's fine on the lunge or when long reined in the arena, it's just under saddle.

Try riding her bareback to see if she behaves differently. That will tell you whether it is likely to be the saddle or not.

Reactions: OwnedbyChanter
Try riding her bareback to see if she behaves differently. That will tell you whether it is likely to be the saddle or not.

And lunging with tack on, if you haven't already. When my boy had back problems he behaved very differently on the lunge with a saddle on.

Reactions: orbvalley
She lunges absolutely fine with tack on and bareback she does the same although she's only been ridden bareback once before so she's not really familiar with the feeling and does tense up a bit.

To my knowledge she's not come into season yet but maybe she's about to. I just don't know where to turn next, maybe get the back lady out again?

When you say 'her back was done' what do you mean by this? Who looked at her back and what did they say? It is not always about the back anyway. Tightness in the poll could cause the problems you describe.

Young horses (or indeed any horse) who are increasing in their workload are consistently building muscle and changing shape. This can make them sore.

This is a subject very close to my heart after various 'professionals' told me my horse was fine and only on a lameness visit did the vet pick up on the soreness. A very highly regarded physio found a very sore back and poll which require extensive treatment. If your horse has her ears flat back and head up, in my opinion she is telling you something hurts. Yes physio is really expensive, mine costs £75 per visit but it is necessary for a horse showing behaviour like yours.

When you say 'her back was done' what do you mean by this? Who looked at her back and what did they say? It is not always about the back anyway. Tightness in the poll could cause the problems you describe.

Young horses (or indeed any horse) who are increasing in their workload are consistently building muscle and changing shape. This can make them sore.

This is a subject very close to my heart after various 'professionals' told me my horse was fine and only on a lameness visit did the vet pick up on the soreness. A very highly regarded physio found a very sore back and poll which require extensive treatment. If your horse has her ears flat back and head up, in my opinion she is telling you something hurts. Yes physio is really expensive, mine costs £75 per visit but it is necessary for a horse showing behaviour like yours.

We had the physio out for her before she started work - something I always do with my youngsters to make sure there's no underlying problems before they come into work.

She has built muscle up, there's no doubt about that but I can't find any noticeable sore points. Physio recommended that she comes out every 6-9 months so she's due again shortly. There's definitely something wrong but the fact that she doesn't do it at all out hacking is what's stumped me.

Riding in a school is very different to hacking. In a school you are asking for bend, suppleness, frequent changes of paces etc. It is much harder work than hacking. Do you ride her into more of a contact in the school whereas on a hack you let the reins go looser? What about the surface in the school? Is it deep, soft, even? If it is deep she will be finding this even harder work.

newrider.com