Youngster rearing

Miska

Mar 28, 2006
Sussex/ Exeter
When we first got Ettie in March she did not really do anything naughty. Once she found her feet she did a few little bucks and a few tiny rears but nothing too dangerous.

However over the last month she has started being very silly, rearing when she is excited when ridden and even rearing when she is being led (not all the time, ie. when she is the last one in from the field). I don't think it is her saddle or her teeth - i think it is her just misbehaving and testing us.

However if this is the case what am I supposed to do when she is naughty? She's only young (5), so is it just a stage she will grow out of? What do people suggest? We've never had a youngster before, is this normal childishness?

Belt her with a whip HARD on her tummy when she goes up. Its a predatory reaction for her not to want to show her sensitive areas, in the wild a predator would rip her guts out through her tummy.

My youngster did this with me she used to plant and refuse to go foward so i got a friend to come up behind me with a lunge whip and give her a smack behind her to encourage her to go foward it worked a treat and she has never reared again :)

I think a lot does come down to her being a youngster but she does need to learn the rules and that this is unacceptable behaviour (sometimes she has to be first in from the field and sometimes last and that is the way it is!)
I would check everything first to be darn sure that it is not her teeth, saddle, back or bridle- i would also make sure that i am causing any issues when leading or riding- by expecting the behaviour and so causing it if that makes any sense!

I would not punish her for rearing- sure she might be testing the boundaries and she might be over excited but smacking her is likely to result in her being wary of you when in that situation you need to show her leadership- take for instance the rearing in the field as she is the last one out there- in her eyes the herd have moved on without her so she needs to get back to them so she plays you up- if you then react to this with punishment she will learn that actually you are not great to be with- when really you want to teach her that you are safe to be with and she can trust you to deal with situations.

I would do a lot of groundwork with her so i could move her feet anywhere i wanted to- i would teach her to yield and respect me on the ground- i would then use this in situations where she is likely to rear.

When you suspect she is going to rear and she is giving you all the signs put her to work- a horse that is going forward or circling cannot rear- when riding keep her circling and calm the situation down- be positive in your riding and keep her going forwards. A slight tap may be appropriate as an aid to move forwards but only you will know how she will react to things.

A lot of it probably is normal childishness- my youngster occasionally does mini rears and leaps about when we are out at shows and things as he is just so excitable- by keeping him going forward and in some occasions where safe by cantering him round and round the arenas he soon settles and tires out and then can take everything in! As long as you ride positively and are consistent in what you expect of her she will start to follow the rules!

Good luck with her.

I know lets beat the crap out of her and pin her on the floor :rolleyes: you need to train her, she is a baby using violence as said by Marusenka will not help the longterm situation, she has offered good advice for you.

Thank you for your replies - I will definitly try the kinder option first. I know she will probably grow out of it, its just the case that I don't want her to hurt someone while she is growing out of it. Thanks again

Agree with Marusenska, when ridden try to pre empt the moment by occupying her mind and keeping her going forwards. Hesitation gives her the window of opportunity to use her exuberance in inappropriate ways.
Ground work has helped our youngster realise that rearing is not on when lead in hand.She used to get over excited last winter coming in at night too.
As Marusenska says, she needs to learn the rules. She is young and learning how to be a grown up riding horse. Can't see the point in whacking a horse on the belly, when she isn't deliberately setting out to be naughty. A firm approach, yes, but an aggressive one, no.

newrider.com