Youngsters testing authority

bitsnpieces

Aug 22, 2007
What experience does everyone have of youngsters testing your authority? Inca is going through a bit of a phase of really testing me out (am putting in a join-up plan to re-assert myself with her).

What did your youngsters do when they were testing you out and at what age?

My youngster at 2, is still following me around like I'm his surrogate mum:rolleyes: he is always at my side in the field, and has a submissive look (a look of respect I hope:)) He never comes into my space, and will stand just slightly behind me with head a little low..
I read recently that the mare will send the foal away when they are naughty, and not let them back in until they take up a submissive pose, chewing and licking, head low to the ground.. in the wild, they would be sent to the out skirts of the herd, and not wanting to be eaten, want to get back asap by apology, and won't repeat the naughtiness again, as it's lonely out there;)

Mine smacked me in the face and gave me a bloody nose last night so i can safely say not going well for me. lol

Although it was my fault but my cob does need to learn manners as he can be bolshy one minute and a nervous wreck the next.

My youngster at 2, is still following me around like I'm his surrogate mum:rolleyes: he is always at my side in the field, and has a submissive look (a look of respect I hope:)) He never comes into my space, and will stand just slightly behind me with head a little low..
I read recently that the mare will send the foal away when they are naughty, and not let them back in until they take up a submissive pose, chewing and licking, head low to the ground.. in the wild, they would be sent to the out skirts of the herd, and not wanting to be eaten, want to get back asap by apology, and won't repeat the naughtiness again, as it's lonely out there;)

Monty Robert said it.This is true my mare Faye chases the young ones away till they behave. If mine get to upety they are forcfully chased away by us.Even Sweep will discipline them both if needed. Bless her

Last edited:
My plan is to do some join up work this weekend to reassert my authority with her. She has always been a total chilled out little sweetie, following me round like a dog most of the time and very affectionate. But all of a sudden she is getting real little temper tantrums! Just interesting to hear others' experiences with this.

She used to be in a herd where she was bullied and kept under the thumb a bit but is now in a more relaxed herd so I think she's seeing how far up the ladder she can get now she isn't being forced into submission by other horses all the time.

I'm very keen to do the join up with her as I think this will remind her of the state of play in the way she needs to hear it.

I've always had a solid relationship with her so am just very cautious that my actions when she's going through this stage don't ruin that.

Innocence - how old is yours? Inca is rising 3 and going through that phase at the moment. She's trying to be the boss but doesn't know what to do with it so gets nervy. A few months ago she panicked and kicked out at someone else's horse but got me instead...I have a permanent bruised dent in my muscle!!

Bring on human kids.....nothing scares me anymore!!!!! hahahahaha

My plan is to do some join up work this weekend to reassert my authority with her. She has always been a total chilled out little sweetie, following me round like a dog most of the time and very affectionate. But all of a sudden she is getting real little temper tantrums! Just interesting to hear others' experiences with this.

She used to be in a herd where she was bullied and kept under the thumb a bit but is now in a more relaxed herd so I think she's seeing how far up the ladder she can get now she isn't being forced into submission by other horses all the time.

I'm very keen to do the join up with her as I think this will remind her of the state of play in the way she needs to hear it.

I've always had a solid relationship with her so am just very cautious that my actions when she's going through this stage don't ruin that.

Innocence - how old is yours? Inca is rising 3 and going through that phase at the moment. She's trying to be the boss but doesn't know what to do with it so gets nervy. A few months ago she panicked and kicked out at someone else's horse but got me instead...I have a permanent bruised dent in my muscle!!

Bring on human kids.....nothing scares me anymore!!!!! hahahahaha

I have a yearling TB filly and a 2 year old cob gelding. :)

My warmblood filly rising 2 (next month) is going through this at the moment, shes really testing her boundaries and seeing what she can get away with.

Its hard as shes a big girl and really tries throwing her weight around, just generally bolshy.

Im just working on getting her to listen to me, not letting her get her own way. We have a problem with rearing and striking out at the min so trying to stop this :eek: Shes a lovely filly most of the time, so affectionate but shes really testing me now!

Shes 15.2hh now so this little 13.2hh underweight yearling i bought is now very big and quite a powerful girl! When i got her she was such a timid little thing, terrified of other horses in the field, now shes one of the leaders and shows her authority when needed which is so nice to see she must be happy and has gained so much confidence, but she does need to learn she cant push me around like she does the other horses! :rolleyes:

Barman - that's really interesting to hear, sounds like our girlies are going through exactly the same phase! I think Inca is going through it late as she was over handled so I don't think it's occurred to her to do it yet....but now it has!!!!

It's so frustrating when they're so affectionate normally!

Innocence have you got pics of your coblet?

Barman - that's really interesting to hear, sounds like our girlies are going through exactly the same phase! I think Inca is going through it late as she was over handled so I don't think it's occurred to her to do it yet....but now it has!!!!

It's so frustrating when they're so affectionate normally!

Innocence have you got pics of your coblet?

Here you go...he was neglected when we got him so very submissive, he is now a little sod but he has his good times too, this pic was taken about 2 months ago.

Sul1.jpg

Im not sure if Rascal is testing the authority...

I think species unto himself describes it better. He behaves like a young child with ADHD but in a four legged, hairy body. Its quite scary. Can be funny, but Im trying not to encourage it.

hahaha - pfball that made me giggle!!

It's interesting to hear other people's experience of this, as she's my first youngster I don't have anything to compare her to so working out just how badly she's behaving is quite difficult.

Innocence - I bred Inca so I know she hasn't been neglected but I know she was badly bullied over winter by two of the horses she was out with so this has left her with a bit of a chip on her shoulder, she's not out with them anymore but I do think this is why she's trying to creep further up the ladder

I think you have probably hit it on the head in that she was in a herd where she was kept 'in her place' and now in a more relaxed environment she is
feeling her feet a bit.....plus of course the 'terrible two's':D

I also noticed it with Sioned when we moved Yards. At our 'old' Yard she
was in with a herd and quite firmly kept in her place. At times she was
moved to a field on her own and I began to see the difference. In the
end I decided to move Yards and she was then totally on her own for a while.

Several things I noticed then, she certainly 'looked to me' more for guidance but also felt her feet a bit more and although she has never been a bolshy
horse in any way shape or form he did test the boundaries a bit more.

Within about 6 weeks I bought Bertie anyway, at first he was definately
'the boss' coming in not having been long Gelded, and he certainly ruled
the roost, but things have changed over the last Year (Blimey where did
that time go) and she now 'moves him on' and is definately 'top Horse'...

Thankfully although she moves him on, and WILL kick out at him occasionally,
she never actually makes contact and its all for 'show' more than anything
else, its very rare she makes a 'stand' with me, but does occasionally, just
to test the boundaries have not changed I think...

Think its probably something most of them go through, bit like Children, lol, and you just need to stay consistant and not change the goal posts:)

newrider.com