Your Horse Live Weekend - Report!

domane

Retired cob mum
Jul 31, 2005
I had a FAB weekend! I've done YHL day trips for years and always leave feeling like I have missed so much. So when I discovered that some of the girls at the yard had booked two days and an overnight hotel, I muscled in on the action! The other three went the whole hog for Saturday and booked VIP tickets whereas I could only run to Standard Plus. Sadly on the day, one of the VIP girls was unwell and couldn't attend so she gave me her ticket! So mid-morning the remaining three of us went to the VIP lounge and received a glass of bubbly. Jen's lovely new fella had done her a YHL Survival Box which included two bottles of Prosecco, so we borrowed the glasses from the VIP lounge and opened one bottle whist watching demos in the afternoon! How very luxurious!!

20181110_134504-600x1067.jpg

Saturday was mainly browsing the shopping stands and watching demos. I watched a good spookbusting sesh by NH trainer Jason Webb. He has his own horse, Diesel, who came into the arena at the end for a little liberty work. Whether it was supposed to happen or not, it was hilarious to watch him drop to the ground and roll copiously....covering his black coat in sand!

Screenshot_20181111-171347-800x450.png

Lunch was covered in the VIP lounge as part of the ticket cost, as well as free tea and coffee all day.

In the afternoon (glass of bubbly in hand) we saw Mary and Emily Kings' jumping masterclass which finished with Mary riding the infamous Hovis!

20181110_101442-800x450.jpg

Straight afterwards there was a Grand Horse parade which included Big Star, At Arko III, Neptune Collonges, Barbers Shop and Uthopia! He was ridden by his groom of 11 years, Alan, who told us that when there was all that furore over Uthopia's ownership, Alan had slept on a camp bed outside his stable for a few weeks with his passport under his pillow! He then broke into the most amazing dressage trot and there wasn't a dry eye in the house!!

As part of our weekend we also booked to see the evening performance which was a 3-hour audience with Geoff Billington. I've seen Geoff there a few times before and he's akways entertaining but I must confess that I wondered how he'd fill 3 hours. In the end, my fears were unfounded and it was hugely entertaining, including lots of jumping - some VERY high!! - and a very VERY moving tribute to his famous It's Otto..... his horse of a lifetime (more tears).

The overnight hotel was only 4 miles away from the venue and easy to find. £66 for a twin room and as my room mate was poorly I had the very comfortable room to myself. Not bad for £33! And a lovely big an suite too!

20181111_082453-800x450.jpg

On Sunday we had all bought the cheaper 'shopping' tickets but unfortunately the other two girls had to drive back to Shropshire. I wasn't fazed by this as I've been there loads of times solo and I was able to look where I wanted, when I wanted. I didn't buy much, to be honest and just as I decided to leave at lunchtime, I happened to pass the Equine Learning Zone and did a double-take to see Mary and Emily King answering questions. There were a few spare seats so I plonked myself down to listen.... they were only about 4 metres away from me!! #starstruck

20181111_171520-800x571.jpg

After 15 mins they finished but Mary had some of her books and gave them a plug. I was first in the line and got a lovely dedication written...

20181111_173440-600x1067.jpg

I got back to the yard in time to hack out with Jill and Albi so it was a perfect weekend all round really.

I'm envious, it sounds like a perfect weekend, I really wanted to go but couldn't really justify it when I don't really need anything (clearly I only go for the shopping :p)

I really should allow myself to do this one year. Eceyone says how good it is, but I feel guilty taking so much time for myself and asking Mr Star to look after MY horse. (I know he wouldn’t mind at all)

Sounds great! I went a few years back and was really disappointed. It took ages to get in to the car park, there were huge queues for everything and no shopping bargains. I noticed this year (as I drive past the entrance on my way to work) that they had more car parks open. One of my fellow liveries went on Friday and said it was really quiet. Another one of my fellow liveries is good friends with Mary and Emily - she hasn't introduced me yet though :( I'd love to see Geoff Billingtom - I saw a video masterclass of his which was really good)

I think you do have to be prepared for the queues, I always try and arrive as it opens and expect a bit of a wait, last time I went it was only about 15 minutes though (I think it gets busier mid morning as not everyone wants to get up at silly o'clock to drive there). I don't do crowds well, so take my normal approach to anything like that, get in and go to the furthest possible point and work my way back to the entrance, most people do the opposite so you tend not to have to fight quite so much. As for the bargains, the real bargains come out on Sunday afternoon, the few years I worked a stand there we never did the extra super duper discounts until at least 3pm on the Sunday.

That's a good tip about the bargains! The parking issues I had were because they only had a couple of the car parks open and the queue for the VIP car park ran back into the normal car park. I'm not sure who organised it as they have been sorting out parking well at that venue for a year or two now ;)

Anyway - they obviously had more car parks open this year, and the signs were sending traffic on sensible routes.

Reactions: Jessey
Very jealous. A group of us use to go every year and stay over night. But not been for a few years now more so because of the weekend it falls on and I am generally on parade somewhere.

The other problem I have is that I (runs in to the corner to whisper) don't need anything nor do the horses

newrider.com