Your most perfect hack?

Skib

Dec 21, 2003
London
The long hacking thread dwells on distance and time. Whereas today I went on one of the most perfect hacks of my life.
My new share lives in parkland. We wandered off on our own in winter sunshine, two idle ladies, through sunlit golden bracken and tawny trees. For a long way, we met no people, no dogs. As we turned home in bright sun, she almost spooked at her shadow. This was the first time she has ever really wanted to come out with me. I had groomed her into happiness and we had our reward.

It's the little things that make life grand isn't it, lovely @Skib it sounds magical and glad you enjoyed it, it's not always about miles and as long as we enjoy the time we spend with our horses regardless what we do with them that is or should be all that matters, 'Im not riding at all just now but I love my time just 'being' with Belle.

Reactions: Frances144
It's the little things that make life grand isn't it, lovely @Skib it sounds magical and glad you enjoyed it, it's not always about miles and as long as we enjoy the time we spend with our horses regardless what we do with them that is or should be all that matters, 'Im not riding at all just now but I love my time just 'being' with Belle.

Yup, I know what you mean. I don't ride Haakon - he has retired but I potter and fuss around him every day and we still have the same relationship - we have been together for over 24 years now. We're like an old married couple. Today, I was changing his rug and told him to wait while I did it despite there being a fresh haynet which his best friend was trying to eat as fast as possible. So he did and put his head on mine while I faffed about with the straps. I smile inside.

I'm lucky to have had many, many hacks like that, I am very lucky to be in one of the most fabulous places for riding, with 56,000 acres of forest to explore and most of that you won't see another soul in, there's different ground and differing tree cover and foliage suited to every different time of year, and lots of magical places to explore. I like going for long rides but one of my favorite places is only about 2 miles from home, it's a particular track through the woods and there is something special about it, it's magical and makes me tingle every time :)
The hacking thread was never about how long or how far, it was just about getting out there and doing it and sharing something that wasn't a rosette/placing.

My perfect hack involves no traffic/roads, no tractors, no motorbikes, it's sunny but not too hot or cold, not too much wind, no flies, no rabbit holes, no random ridiculous things that happen out hacking :) a nice wander through the woods, canter up a couple of not too steep hills and a chilled walk home on the buckle :) (I don't want much hahah) I don't like going for hours and hours, I rarely have time, so for me it's not about time and distance either!

newrider.com