Your views on horse bucking, rearing and throwing head up

Blondie&Harry

Jan 26, 2007
Hi,

I have found a horse that i am interested in buying but wanted to know peoples views and experiences in this slight issue he has.

He is not a novice ride and I am an experienced rider. When i rode him he worked beautifully on the flat and jumped fantastically BUT occasionally he would throw his head up and fiddle with the bit but only for few seconds and then accept the bit again. Also he put in a few little bucks and rears and the only connection i could make was that at those moments i didn't really have my mind fully on the task of riding (if that makes sense). I presumed he was just testing me. They were not nasty bucks and rears and i stayed on and after he went back to a real gentleman working nicely.

I asked the sellers why and they have told me that he has regular back, teeth etc checks and all is fine and they have just accepted that he does this every now and then. He has been pushed from pillar to post a bit and I'm kind of thinking he's just not settled.

You may think I'm crazy but the vet is out to vet him today (5 stage) and when he calls me i will ask him about this problem but just wondered if anyone has had a similar experience and wouldn't mind giving me their views.

Thanks in advance.

I would be asking who checked his teeth and back. Even if they are all clear do you really want a horse you have to concentrate on the whole time?

I do know of a horse (who i loved) who had a habit of randomly rearing and bucking (no pain issue) from what I know she did it from aged 3yrs up up right to her teenage years. Although I loved her it did get tiresome to ride (I never owned her btw)

The other thing is there's a good chance that when excited like hacking in a odd place or at a show he will probably be worse, do you want to do that?

I think a lot also depends on what price he is at and whether he can do the jobs you want him to do even if you never get rid of these 'quirks'. It would also be worth bearing in mind that unless he is youngish and has a lot od 'scope' he would be quite hard to sell on again if your circumstances ever changed.

my pony was a little *&%$ from been a yearling we thought he would grow out of it, sometimes he has days even weeks when he is a little angel then he will have a awfull day and all i wanna do is sell him, he is know 6! i think sometimes it is just there personality, sarahx

He is 11 years old, very bold jumper and very good on flat. He's exactly what i'm looking for. They dont know his breeding. He's BSJA registered and is Priced at £2250.

The groom rode him first for 5-10 minutes before i got on and he didn't do any rearing or bucking with her, she rides him pretty much every day. Maybe he was testing me out but its all a bit of a gamble.

I'm still waiting for the vet to call to discuss things before he starts the vetting process.

On the ground he is so placid, gentle and kind. And even when riding it wasn't all the time, i rode for a good hour and he only did this twice in the school and once out in XC field where i think he sensed my nerves. I was only slightly nervous because the jump i was heading towards was the sort of jump my old pony would of freeked at.

Last edited:
He sounds pretty much like a competition horse....he may settle, he may not. One thing for certain is he will probably need a fair bit of work each day and/or competing regularly/often to keep a 'lid' on things.

Was you particularly looking for a competition horse?

Also I know he's BSJA registered but how successful has he been at BSJA? Is that something you want to do.

If you want a competiton horse he might be ok, if you don't mind the quirks probably always being there BUT if you want to do hacking, schooling and the odd local shows then he probably wouldn't be suitable IMO.

Personally if you're used to bucking and are aware that some horses have quirks then it wouldn't put me off.
Had anyone asked me in the past, I would've assumed my boy was in pain and needed something checking. However, nearly 5 years on, he can still throw the odd buck when he gets excited. It's just him and I'm so used to it now that it doesn't bother me.

When he went on loan last year, the people who had him thought his poll was out the first time he did it. Having been reassured by me and having had everything checked they just got on with it, it's just the way some horses are.

You sound quite taken with the lad. If the seller has been honest and states that he just 'does it' sometimes than I would be fine with it if it didn't scare me.

I have posted on her before as my lad does the same. we can be going along on a nice gentle hack and he will sudden put in a bunk and rear nothing big:rolleyes: but a reminder not to take him for granted!

My only concern would be what you want him for. As he sound like the more he is worked the more settled him becames (again same with mine) so if you are going to work him every day then no problem at all. but if not may be not the guy for you.

Hope it works out looking forward to the pictures

You sound quite taken with the lad. If the seller has been honest and states that he just 'does it' sometimes than I would be fine with it if it didn't scare me.

I have posted on her before as my lad does the same. we can be going along on a nice gentle hack and he will sudden put in a bunk and rear nothing big:rolleyes: but a reminder not to take him for granted!

My only concern would be what you want him for. As he sound like the more he is worked the more settled him becames (again same with mine) so if you are going to work him every day then no problem at all. but if not may be not the guy for you.

Hope it works out looking forward to the pictures

I'm used to difficult horses and actually thrive on the challenge. I'm on the same wave length as you that its his little reminder not to take him for granted!

I will be working him everyday, if i choose to give myself a day off he will still get lunged.

I've only been competing at local shows doing prelim dressage and small 2ft - 2ft3 jumping but that is only because the pony i have been sharing is a complete wimp at jumping and spooks at his own shadow!! bless him. I really want to compete at a higher level and i hope this boy will be able to take me there. Subject to vetting of course. The vet has just called and i have voiced my concerns so now just gotta wait and see.

Any more experiences or advice would be greatly appreciated.

I'd second everyone else - if you want him for competing and he is going to be very good for that, then its probably worth putting up with quirks as long as you are confident to deal with them.

My YO's current showjumping star is an absolute cowbag esp at shows - she bucks, rears and kicks out if you try to get her to stand still and is bargy and impatient in the lorry and on the ground. However, she goes in and jumps a beautiful consistent clear round every time! (she just came 9th in British novice regional second round and has already qualified discovery and newcomer for next year) She has a very experienced trainer who knows how best to deal with her quirks so everyone lets her off as long as she is jumping well! Also, she's a sweetie at home and mostly well behaved outside show environment.

So basically a long way of saying that as long as you think he is suitable for what you want and you can cope with the odd buck, I think you shouldn't let it put you off.

I would have his poll and teeth checked as well as everything else, the vet thats vetting him might beable to see what the problem is.

Sounds like you would make him a lovely mummy.

Ah Thanks everyone for your advice/experiences.

Just to update: He passed the vetting today! Yay! I asked the vet to give his back and teeth a thorough check and all ok. He did not buck or rear in his ridden work today. My YO has requested blood tests to be taken for a number of reasons so if they come back clear I'm gona go for it!

I think he just needs someone to work with him and with the right training i think he'll be fine. Might have a few bumps along the way but hey ho I think he's worth it.

Another thing i just thought is that they haven't got him his own tack so possibly the saddle they use on him might not be fitting him correctly. I will be buying him a brand spanking new one that is fitted correctly.

Fingers Crossed everyone. Piccies soon i hope :D

Just another thought in case it helps-did you give him regular breaks through the work? i.e do 20 mins long rein and walk for 3 mins do another 20? Just that if it's a full hour of work with no break the muscles get sore and the bucking/rearing may be his way of trying to get a rest for few mins?

I don't think a horse ever does something randomly or for no reason really. It sounds to me like there is some tension building in him that he releases when he feels he can. Could be a poor fitting bit, maybe the bit is pulled to high in the bridle? Maybe he's not truly broke, but just getting rides stolen? Maybe some part of his tack is uncomfortable? Maybe he is just one of those horses that just really doesn't like a bit? Watch for any tension when you tack up. Does his head stay low and sleepy? Or does it rise a little? Eye get a little bigger?

newrider.com