Your weather

A sunny afternoon so for the first time we went into our tiny garden this afternoon, trimmed the grasses and cleared a sackload of rubbish. Will do more tomorrow I hope. My mind has been on Ella. Her sensitivity in our schooling session this week has made me suddenly very fond of her.

Frustrated with myself for forgetting her bridle on a super dry day.

So pulled the gate out that's been left buried for the last two years. That's been rehomed. _20240330_153648.JPG
I could then see the lovely leaves on the willow, that does love water though, so maybe it's delighted!

I actually think we are wetter now than we were in Dec and Jan. Ive never know my yard to be so wet when lambing. I dont have the luxury of a fancy concrete yard. Its just stone and soil. I swept it all a few weeks ago. It was as good as i could make it. But now its disgusting. The sheep come in from the field to eat there food out the troughs and i can extract what i need into the shed pens but they just come into a yard of slop. Ive even put some scalpings down to cover the mud in a couple of places to try and help but i wont be able to sweep hay off them.
Its also bad driving out with the hay into the field. Everytime now i just slide sideways. Between the cows and horses they are pugging the ground quite a bit at the moment. Ive gone over on my ankles several times thanks to the ruts. It wasnt this bad during the actual winter period.

• Wow
Reactions: Jessey
I have to scrape the excess everytime it's rained. Otherwise it will just build up into muddy soup then it stops what's behind it being able to drain at all.
There are no vehicles in my field though, the tractor wrecked the entrance in December and that won't even drain anymore.

Got that a bit wrong. Boys have been in there rainsheets. Was thinking i must get the fly sheets out soon. Was blowing a fair bit this morning so i wasnt to fussed inspite them saying it was warming up. But its got warmer as the days gone on. Wind dropped.
Tonight went to get the sheep in and im literally being eaten alive. Got my woolly hat and buff pulled right over my face. The midges were still getting under.
So i thought id go up after, get the horses fly sheets out. Sun had already set and it was almost dark. Carried out to the boys, took the rainsheets off. Chunky was fine but Billy was soaked. Clearly he has been very hot today. Felt like a very bad person.
Within seconds of taking the rainsheets off the midges were all over them. Midges biting me. Boys started going nuts till i could get the fly sheets on.

Midges and mozzies are horrific here at dusk, even the little boys who arenā€™t normally bothered with their thick coats are being eaten.
The mozzies are enormous!IMG_9091_Original.jpeg

• Wow
Reactions: Bodshi
The new paddock being wetter had more knats and midges. But because we've just been asked to move back to where we were, we are now not dealing with them as it's drier.
So that's a big plus.

It's meant to dry all weekend.
Overcast dull today, but beautiful and sunny yesterday.

I added the fly masks this morning. It was horrific at 8am.
Could barely see the white blaze on chunkys face for the sea of midges.

• Sad
Reactions: Jessey
I had my shorts on today. It's been lovely and sunny,. I wouldn't say it's exactly shorts weather, but I blended in with all the other lily white legs šŸ˜‚
Then added my wind chimes. I don't think they will upset the birds.

collage-1713111982355.jpg

Feeling very sorry for my animals right now. Just been down and let the sheep out, come back, rain getting heavier so thought let it pass I'll feed the dog and cat first before i go out to cows and horses. Well it is deluging it out there right now. Strong gusts of wind and cold.
Poor little lambs not nice for them.
Poor horses are only in the fly sheets. Not worried about Billy but poor Chunky. Ive done my best to keep him dry all winter. Yesterday was so warm im sunburnt. Just hope once it passes it warms up or they are going to be cold all day. This is supposed to pass in another hour. I might take Chunkys rain sheet out and put it on him. Maybe just put over the fly sheet. Its supposed to be colder for a few days. But im sure the midges will still be out in force. What to do.

I used to regularly put a turnout over a sweetitch rug for Jim and it never caused a problem.

It's very windy here and earlier we were getting serious downpours, After three days naked Luka is now back in a 50g rug and neck cover, I left my friend's pair in as although they have rugs on there's no shelter at all in their paddock.

It honked down here first thing, but it only lasted a couple of hours and is now bright and sunny though still really windy. I questioned my decision to leave them in fly rugs this morning but theyā€™d be too hot now if Iā€™d put rain sheets on.

Its quite a bright day here today, but really blowy (again) and the wind is freezing.

Its really annoying me as Id like to do more with my new pony, but our yard is really exposed and has a lot of 'stuff' about the place. No point frightening him so we've just been working on leading/backing up/moving over and feet in the field.

Cant believe we are still having full bales dropped in in mid april either. Its mad this weather this year.

@Tir I can't believe Luka is still coming in at night, and it's certainly not because he lacks grass. For what it's worth I think it's a wise call limiting what you're doing with your new boy, this wind is enough to upset an established horse never mind a youngster who's just moved home.

Reactions: Tir
On what weve had during the day im glad i put a rainsheet on Chunky. Hes in a paddock in the very middle of the field today so no shelter. I took the removeable neck piece off though. Ive tried to keep his neck covered as much as possible because of his bald skin from no mane. It will never grow now as the hair folicals have all died off. But i notice everytime i leave him uncovered he gets open wounds which im 100% certain is Billy biting his neck whilst grooming. So hes better to be covered
Billy was so wet with sweat in the rainsheet last week, hes unlikely to have a rainsheet on his back till the autumn now. Hes such a hot boy. Mind Chunky was similar at that age although chunky had a thicker coat.

When wet weather meets an itchy bottom.
Usually it stands firm.
I am sure it will live, I have a thing for growing trees.
collage-1713198846658.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: carthorse
There is a tree on one of my hacking routes that ended up falling 3 years ago. Thats still going strong, just growing into the track and not up. Will try and grab a pic next time I am out that way, its really quite astonishing!

Today *looked* lovely. Proof pictures lie!!

Screenshot_20240415_163642_Gallery.jpg

I saved a tree by pushing it back in, it looked like a skinny dead post until it started sprouting leaves.

Brushed her feathers. They need a wash and they might get a scrub this year. Just need it to start dry enough to bother šŸ˜‚collage-1713214460090.jpg

newrider.com