Ziggy update - so far, so good

Jane&Ziggy

Jane&Sid these days!
Apr 30, 2010
Surrey Hills
Ziggy has now been on 1 Prascend a day for about 8 weeks. At the start he was very uncomfortable in his feet, cresty, and sometimes quite lame, and he had been on box rest for 2 weeks already. After another 4 weeks of box rest and a big improvement in his soundness I started letting him out for a bit, but he was in for at least 12 hours a day and had hardly any grass when he was out.

He hasn't had any bad reaction to Prascend - no "veil" - and the herbal supplement I gave him to support him over the transition to the drug made him so bouncy I had to discontinue it! He is now a good weight, very cheerful and full of himself (think caprioles and standing on his hind legs waving his front feet in the air when he thinks I'm not looking), completely sound as far as I can see, and in his most squishily gorgeous Autumn coat.

Yesterday for the first time I let him out on the track with Mattie. He was terribly excited but soon settled. He's been in today but I have let him out again overnight and he doesn't seem even remotely footy (frantically crossing fingers and touching wood).

The grass is growing like mad at present, so I am really hoping that this means the Prascend is working and keeping his pituitary under control. His hooves have flared a bit, but he's being trimmed on Tuesday, so after that and with my trimmer's blessing I hope to start walking him out on the road and gradually getting a bit of muscle back on him.

Please keep everything crossed for us!

Oh what a lovely positive update! So, so glad to read this. Massive recovery vibes headed your way. xx

Oh Jane I’m so pleased he’s doing better. You deserve a break, as does Ziggy!
I think of you often as we have a lovely sweet cheeky Connemara on our yard (flipo loves her) and she’s sadly had lami for a few weeks now and is on boxrest. She’s been diagnosed with ems and I’m not sure what is going to become of her as I’m not sure if things are improving.
But that’s so good to hear for you and zig, long may the improvements continue!

Fantastic news! So pleased he's feeling much better, although I did have a chuckle at the 'capriole' bit. Cheeky boy. Fingers & toes crossed that he keeps improving :)

Great news that the pracend appears to be doing its job.
And in a funny way that that the herbs worked as well.

Thank you all very much for your good wishes. Keep your fingers crossed!

At the moment it is hot and the grass is growing very fast, so I am turning him out in his grazed-down bit for the morning, in with hay in the afternoon, and out on the track with Mattie overnight. If this works for a week I will try leaving him out full time and see how we go.

newrider.com