zooming back to the yard when you turn home on hacks?

hannah_xx

Safi
Jan 2, 2009
Essex
uk.youtube.com
here is the thread with pics of new loan..
http://www.newrider.com/forum/showthread.php?t=193814

But i need some advice.
Went out on a hack the other day with another horse, and she was very good when going away from the yard, but when we turned around to go home she shoved her head in the air and wanted to go home, the slightest nudge and i would have been back to the yard before you could say go :cool:. had her owner on foot, so she held onto her so this didnt happen.

What can i do about this?

Try and only do circular routes for a while. I used to ride a napper and the only way to get them out of it is confuse them. Someone once suggested turning round if he played up and continuing the ride in the original direction - I ended up on the floor!

Circular routes FTW!

Try and only do circular routes for a while. I used to ride a napper and the only way to get them out of it is confuse them. Someone once suggested turning round if he played up and continuing the ride in the original direction - I ended up on the floor!

Circular routes FTW!

hmm...slight problem. its one way there, and the same way back. No circular routes :cool: lol

Maybe you could try schooling excercises with her to keep her mind focused? Leg yield, shoulder in, lots of transitions between walk and trot, transitions within the paces. Even if your horse isn't ready to execute them in a school you could still try teaching them on hacks...

Jack goes twice as fast on the way home, but as he dawdles on the way out it makes a nice change :rolleyes:. However, if he is feeling really frisky, then I just stop. We stand for a few seconds, then walk on. Keep doing transitions, and stopping, and hopefully she will start to listen.

We take a circular route, but as soon as we get half way, Misty seems to know that we're on the way home. She used to jog most of the way at first, but now just tends to pick up pace!

is there a way you can circle in a field or something. because if its a stop and literally turn around adding a bump in the route may help.

but also be warned about circling when the horse is speeding up on the way home, could go bad and you end on the floor, ive known horses throw themseleves down if you tried to turn them once they are on the route home and they know it.

is there a safe plod unfasable horse who can hack with you. that way if you need a break you have one.

My old loan horse used to do this. It took a lot of time and patience to get him to hack out nicely. Basically I started with doing short rides, halting every few minutes (he used to anticipate halting to mean turn round), then continuing on. I also devised my own way of turning round, I'd halt him, then do a turn on the forehand halfway, halt, turn on the forehand the other half, halt, so I was facing the other direction towards home. This seemed to work for Spyder as he had to think about where to put his legs rather than speeding home!

Our next stage was to go out a bit further, down the scary bridlepath, this time I'd go to a certain point not far in, turn round (still with the turn on forehands) and walk to the end of the bridlepath, then turn back round again and go back down the bridlepath! It confused him a lot :D. I kept this up for a couple of weeks, so I'd be going backwards and forwards down the bridlepath. Sometimes I'd get almost back to the yard, then turn him round and go back out again. It seemed to work for him as he started to realise that turning round didn't always mean home!

Thanks for the brilliant advice everyone. :)

we do have massive fields we can ride in, but what if she bolted across it =/. well i suppose its either that or bolt down the concrete road lol.
But she does not even know how to canter with a rider, so hopefully she wouldn't be able to bolt anyway haha

Thanks for the brilliant advice everyone. :)

But she does not even know how to canter with a rider, so hopefully she wouldn't be able to bolt anyway haha

she doesnt know how to canter with a rider? im confused? also confused as in the pics shes jumping....

shes a pretty lass btw

she doesnt know how to canter with a rider? im confused? also confused as in the pics shes jumping....

shes a pretty lass btw

she needs a lot of work on. her owner its unconfident and has never cantered or jumped her. we think Safi might of in the past, but when i tried cantering her the other day it was more like a dressage side movement on the spot haha! and i was only jumping because everyone wanted to see if she could do it. I am going to concentrate on her trot work this week, next week try to get her cantering and once she has mastered it i will start doing small jumps. :)

newrider.com