A frustrating few hours - who needs mobile phones & livery yards?

Roxy's Mum

Jul 21, 2009
Dorset
Not me, I wish (at the moment) I had neither.

Just had my mobile bill, £27 - bloody farce, stupid 02. Obviously, it IS only my fault as I went over quite significantly on text messages (because of stupid livery yards I was texting A LOT) and I also text my sister in Australia quite a bit. But even so, I have a stupid doofus handset - no fancy smart phone here thank you very much - and I hate the bloody thing. It's a luxury that is costing me too much, just contacted 02 to enquire about cancelling and they want to charge me £56+ :stomp: Knickers to them, I'll keep it until my contact expires.

And so on to livery yards. I've had enough of them. I no longer wish to be on one, I would like to keep my horse at home. I still cannot fully settle into the new yard. It turns out my field mate was not informed of the need to poo pick so I had been doing it all myself (no wonder there always seemed to be so much) and I arrive last night to find a new horse in our field. Thankfully my field buddy had warned me that it was a big ol' coloured thing & there had been a lot of barneys going on between the three of them - then find Roxy has sustained an injury to her chest. She has a bold patch that was a bit bloody (not much) although her hair was quite wet around it, it was swollen, rock hard & obviously tender to touch. Poor little thing. She was a tad stiff to walk on it but nothing major so I'll just keep an eye on it - I can't see the skin is damaged, I'm sure it's just a bruise.

I'm just so annoyed there had been no communication from the yard. I did speak to the YM after & she said she did tell me last week (nope, no she didn't - haven't really seen her since I moved on) as I also wanted to know when the girls will be moving into their proper permanent field. Thankfully that should be by tomorrow at the latest, after which no more poo picking thank goodness. Surely it doesn't take much to phone a livery to keep them up to date?

Roll on the days when I can keep her at home, I don't have to see other people, deal with stupid bloody livery yards & their ignorant owners/management and I can crack on with enjoying my horse by myself. As for bloody mobile phones - I hope mine lands in a puddle of mud soon so I claim on the insurance and not replace it...

I'm feeling a bit grumpy today... :ninja:

Last edited:
You sound like you're having a really pants time!!!!! I wondered how you were coping since moving. Jolly rude of YO not to keep you informed when a new horse was moving into your field! You know though, this sort of thing happens a lot. One yard I was on thought nothing of moving peoples horses out of their stables and not telling the owners until they came for evening visits!!! I remember a fellow livery being shocked, they had just moved their horse without asking!
I can't offer up any advicd - I will send you some healing vibes for Roxy poor lass.
Have you met the other horses owner yet? Do hope things get better.

Ah knickers to them. Hopefully you'll be moving today or tmw to the new field. I'm always suspicious of liveries that "weren't told about xyz" :ninja:

Hopefully your girl will have settled down a bit more and new horse will be in another field. I'm to scared to leave my current yard, not everything is perfect but YO is good when you need help.

Last edited:
Oh dear. Sorry to hear that you are both having a rough time at your new yard. Its out of order that the YO didnt let you know that there would be a new horse arriving in your field..I would be :stomp: about the situation. Sounds like that perhaps she meant to phone but didnt.. not that this makes things any better.

Hugs for :twins:you, and :twins:for Roxy. Hope that she is faring a little better today

I am sorry to hear of Roxys injury and your unhapiness there, sending healing vibles for Roxy and hope things will feel better once you are in your permanent field AND your mojo comes back soon.
((((((BIG HUG))))))

What I thought was frustrating more than anything was that if my field sharer hadn't told me I'd have ignorantly gone poo picking without being aware of a third horse in the field - it's pitch black when I get there. That is potentially very dangerous IMO. Field buddy said there was a huge barney at the gate when she tried to turn her mare back out as the new horse wouldn't budge out the way.

I have no idea who this horse is, what its name is or who the owner is. No idea if she's been on a worming program or anything. It's frustrating & smacks of poor management to me. It makes me want to return back to my old yard even more but we all know that's not going to happen. It's a real pickle & I have no desire to ride or do anything with Roxy at all at the moment - really sad after such a fabulous summer.

What I thought was frustrating more than anything was that if my field sharer hadn't told me I'd have ignorantly gone poo picking without being aware of a third horse in the field - it's pitch black when I get there. That is potentially very dangerous IMO. Field buddy said there was a huge barney at the gate when she tried to turn her mare back out as the new horse wouldn't budge out the way.

I have no idea who this horse is, what its name is or who the owner is. No idea if she's been on a worming program or anything. It's frustrating & smacks of poor management to me. It makes me want to return back to my old yard even more but we all know that's not going to happen. It's a real pickle & I have no desire to ride or do anything with Roxy at all at the moment - really sad after such a fabulous summer.

Assume you have rang the YM to discuss your concerns? What is their response to your concerns? Its a bit worrying that they have just lumbered another horse in the field that could all sorts of disease?

I'm just so annoyed there had been no communication from the yard. I did speak to the YM after & she said she did tell me last week (nope, no she didn't - haven't really seen her since I moved on) as I also wanted to know when the girls will be moving into their proper permanent field. Thankfully that should be by tomorrow at the latest, after which no more poo picking thank goodness. Surely it doesn't take much to phone a livery to keep them up to date?

She said she told me. She didn't. No point arguing about it.

She said she told me. She didn't. No point arguing about it.

Yes i did notice this earlier in your post but wondered if she had mentioned anything else whilst on the phone (ie once you had raised your concerns?) did she apologise etc? rather than her trying to make up the fact that she called you if she didnt?

I would argue the fact that she didn't tell me but thats just me. I don't like people who try to cover their own backs whilst others suffer.

I refuse to be on a contract, i pay as i use. That way i keep track off. Skype maybe an option for your sister, or email to keep costs down.

Livery yards can be hard to adjust to until you get the feel of the place. Ours you have to go with the flow and management doesn't always know which way that happens to be.
You get to know things when you arrive, no one ever calls you-correction i have been called when another livery poked their nose into my business.

Avoid gossip or those who try and get you involved in it. My best livery tip of the year.

Can you not just go pay as you go instead? They have some pretty good offers going on atm. I'd never dream of going back on a contract phone, too costly and not worth it for the amount of time I actually spend talking to someone..
I'm O2, and for £15 a month I get 150 mins talk time free after 7 and free at weekends, no strings attached, AND a tenner of that goes on 100 free messages a month.. just enough for me :smile:

Can you not just go pay as you go instead? They have some pretty good offers going on atm. I'd never dream of going back on a contract phone, too costly and not worth it for the amount of time I actually spend talking to someone..
I'm O2, and for £15 a month I get 150 mins talk time free after 7 and free at weekends, no strings attached, AND a tenner of that goes on 100 free messages a month.. just enough for me :smile:

I'm on the O2 simplicity plan which costs me £16.50 a month,unlimited text messages,unlimited data & 400 free any network to any network minutes & 300 02 to 02 minutes.
It's a on a one Month rolling contract meaning I can cancel at any time. It's a brilliant plan.

YARDS!!!!!!!!!!! Grrrrr I once found an uncut colt in with my filly. YO's response: 'Oh he's too young to cover her!' He was almost a year old! We moved. Fingers crossed things improve. x

Haha, the police have been called to our yard twice in the past 3 weeks because of yard brawls (2 different women each time):redcarded: Honestly you'd think grown women could behave themselves!

I hope everything calms down RM, sounds a bit rotten :(

newrider.com