A pony that has outsmarted his owners.

AndaCroy

Oct 4, 2001
Visit site
I help at my neigbors equestrian therapy program and recently someone donated a 6year old pony to them. They asked me to take on the responsibility of working with this pony on the weekends and when the program is not running becuase i am not alowd to get one of my own. This pony has outsmated that owner of the barn and the trainer that works there and I don't know how. He has showed them that he doesn't know his leads, then he can't back up and that he doesn't bend well when yet the first day I rode him he did it all perffectly fine for me and I don't know y becuase I am a beggining rider so i would think that he would take advatage of that but since the trainer is letting him get away with so much he won't listen to me anymore. He has also gotten in the habbit of rearing up and I know that isn't good. I need advice on how to get him to listen again and how to show the other people that he does know what he is doing. My friend is helping me ride him becuase i just had knee surgery and can't for a little while and sghe is a pretty experianced horse rider and he is now doing the same for her. I don't want this pony to get the better of me becuase he knows that i am boss and listens well and now that im not ablw to ride for a little while i don't know if he will remeber that. I also don't want them to try to put a handicapped rider on him for indep[endent riding because i think that will deffinatly be a desater. Thanks for your help. -Amanda

I would start over with this pony as if she was just being newly broken. Her previous owners let her get away with things for so long that they were no longer able to control her, so they gave her to the program. Now you have to start over with the basics from the ground, which you could do even with the knee surgery. Its the round pen and working on voice commands and space respect first. With and without tack. Walk, trot and canter. Leading, backing, bending both on and off a lunge line. It won't be an overnight task, but with patience, she will be the horse you want. Be consistent and patient, but she needs to start all over from scratch. Good luck and keep us informed. Happy Trails!

The only problem with starting for the beging with HIM is that he is used in an equestrian therapy program and he is ridden ever week atleast 3 times. Also the trainer at the barn is dumb and need hurt but she is ridding him extreamly hard every day. They also put a note up on his stall that asked us not to ride him but didn't say y. I am really upset with the people at this barn though because the 'trainer' does nothing, She says there isnothing that she can do about a horse nipping or bitting. Also she has made many horses head shy, and get angry and sent a newly broke/not quite broke 2 year old home beucase it reared and almost ruined her good saddle. Tell my WHY would you put a GOOD saddle on a newly/not quite broke 2 year old. I personly, and my friend also, belive that this trainer has mental issues/difficulty. She also with that 2 yearold horse would not work her when her owners told her they will be coming. They gave her a time and when they got there she said that she was done working with her already. Tell me, do you think that this barn has a few problems? I personaly don't know if this trainer acctuly does anything.
-Amanda

I have big problems with this trainer and I am going to vent aobut now. They get mad at this poor little pony when after he has been gotten out ALTEAST 3 times in one day he starts to act up. They told me not to get the 2 ponys that i work with out more then once a day becuase they will start to get groutchy and now they get this poor little guy out atleast twice a day and sometimes 3 or 4 times. I don't know what to do wiht this pony becuase he keeps getting worse. I haven't gotten to ride him in forever so I am going to have to start all over again. I just really need advice. PLEASE HELP!

If the pony is this bad, I can't imagine them even using it in the program. It is a lawsuit waiting to happen in my opinion. I would suggest going to the barn owner and not the trainer and talking to them about your concerns, asking that what you say be kept in confidence and if they agree, you might tell them what you have SEEN the trainer do or not do. Don't tell them what you THINK the trainer has done, but what you have SEEN the trainer do. I would recommend to the owners that they take this pony out of the program until it can be retrained, and to give you a shot at doing it. Hope things go well. Keep us informed. Happy Trails!

Luckily after this week the program is over for the winter. I could never tell the barn ownera bout the trainer because they are like great friends. I just want to work with this pony this winter becuase I know that if me and my friend could work with it it would be better by next session. Especialy my friend. Her horse accted up all of the time when she first got it and now she is a great wonderful horse that listens well and I really think she could do the same with this pony. Well bye

newrider.com