Am i too heavy for my girl?

I am hoping the video I attach is watchable.

I went to visit my ex-riding instructor the other day. I was so proud of myself making the trip on Bella all by myself - even going on the road. It's only a mile but it was a big deal for me. Anyway, when I got there though the first words she said were "she's very nice but much too small for you". And she also said I was "breaking her back". I would never want to hurt Bella so thought if you all could see me on her - riding badly I know but forgive me I am very new - and give me your opinions. I don't know how much I weigh but I'm sure I'm not more than ten and a half stone. I am five foot three and a bit. I have been reassured many times that I am not too big but my ex-RI really, really gave me a huge doubt. Oh and Bella is 12.2hh. Thanks all. Colleen xx

PS. I swear at the beginning - sorry if offended. Oh, I couldn't manage to post the link as an attachment as it kept telling me invalid file so I've posted the direct link below.

http://s1306.beta.photobucket.com/user/colleen_thomas1/media/MeampBella_zpsd4b8d011.mp4.html

She takes your leg well, you're hardly squishing her! The main thing for me is, does the saddle fit the pony and do you fit in the saddle?

I think some people can't understand an adult riding small ponies, they're just for kids don'tcha know :wink:

not at all! you look great on her, she really takes your leg very well.
I'll put it this way!! your about the same weighwise as me and an 11 yr old relative of mine who's mum runs a small yard is heavier and rode all the 11 hh + ponies and no one said a word so why is it not the same for adults?? I'll never understand it! Im riding a pony and i love it so keep having fun!:smile:

'Taking the leg up well' means it dosen't look like the riders legs are dangling below the girth.

If you have long legs its a good idea to choose a pony with a deep girth, then you don't look out of proportion.

how rude and upsetting! i'd get a new instructor sharpish! if the saddle fits, you fit in the saddle and pony is happy carrying you (which she sure looks in the video), then what's the problem?

really gets my goat that sort of commentary!

and bizzarely, the amount of times I have witnessed obese ladies jumping dainty horses that are blatantly not weight carriers, crashing down onto their backs after each jump ... that's perfectly acceptable it seems?!

a weight carrying sturdy pony with an adult is not?

wonder what your RI would make of my exmoors, teehee!!

PS: just noticed she's already your EX instructor - hooray :D

What does "take your leg well" mean please?

In our case it means that the pony's belly is so round the riders legs stick out horizontally and dont dangle at all.

Usually it means that the barrel of the horse uses up the length of leg so the feet are in the right place for you to ride with a normal length stirrup and not hitched up to short, which makes it really hard to balance and looks wrong.

I am 5' 4'' 11 and a bit stone and ride a 13.2 Fell. You look fine, pony looks fine, I'm no expert but the saddle looks fine to me. Its all good, but you may have to develop a thick skin to some comments and funny looks.

Another one in agreement, you look absolutely fine on her, she does looks bigger than 12'2 though. I think she suits you well.

I can't see the link but if NP says no than I am with her as she knows her pony stuff.

Same here! I'm sure that you suit each other perfectly. Some horsey people are just very opinionated on things which they know nothing about.

You are the best judge of what is best for your pony. If she carries you fine and is happy in her work then I am sure that there is no problem. Get yourself a new instructor. x

I agree with the others - don't think you are too heavy at all, Bella is a sturdy looking thing, solidly built and you are hardly massive at 10.5 stone! Looks like the saddle fits you well. I wouldn't worry about it, personally think she could happily carry another few stone. I think this woman was just one of those people who thinks if your ankle reaches the bottom of the pony's belly then it's too small for you, and apparently if you are anything over 8 stone then "too small" = "too heavy" :rolleyes:

Thank you everyone for your lovely comments. You've really helped cheer me up. She is a very opinionated and negative person and actually never has a good word to say about anyone so I should try and ignore her. Problem is I want lessons and she is very near now that I've moved Bella to my own village.

But the main thing is Bella is ok and I'm not causing her to suffer - you've made my mind up once and for all!

:wavespin:

newrider.com