Bolting.... help

Leosmummy

Jun 9, 2008
Shropshire
Thank you for your advice,
Cozytoes I understand what your saying hun,
Ive deleted the beginning of my post because i dont want this to get into a slanging match!
Again thank you Gemma.

Last edited:
I have got one but tend to use it for funrides only. Ive been meaning to start putting it back on him, It's only when im out that i remember "ah that martingale"

I don't think your horse is bolting..........he is probably running off with you.

Neither of you seem to be ready for what you are doing so, rather than suggest putting extra tack on him, and relying on others to control him by controlling their own horses, I'd suggest you take him back to basics and teach him how to be ridden quietly and under control.

One rein stops are handy to know and a good thing to teach your horse, but not really the answer when a horse needs to retrained into a better way of going.:)

Sound more like a bad mannered carting to me rather than bolting.

Agree with Aengus.

Martingales and one rein stops are not going to address the root.

Agree with Aengus and Wally.

Martingales and one-rein-stops aren't the solution. It sounds to me as if he is playing silly buggers with you out of excitement and a competitive spirit more than anything, Circling him, keeping him at the back of the group and simply avoiding canter in company will all help.

What is he like with other people riding him in company? Some of us do seem to have 'electric bums' despite our best efforts!

Nimby is really bad for this, in the 8years i've had him this has always been something he's done. As soon as you put him in a situation when there's another horse he gets very silly. Although i do ride him in a martingale and usually a strong bit, if your not then putting it on isn't the answer, i ride Nim in it on his own as well cus he's pretty silly.

But all i do is sit really really deep in the saddle and lean back slightly, then if he still goes i will circle him until he slows back to a pace i'm happy with then re-join the other horse and keep doing that ujntil he realises "oh ok, if i go i have to circle so i woin't do that", even if you have to circle all the way down the field it's better than going flat out!

If you can get some friends together who you know are in control of their horses and ride in a field together. Try taking it in turns to canter circles then build up to cantering together but in different directions. This will get your horse used to cantering in a field with other horses and he will start to understand that its not a race. I had a horse like this and it helped her, the only thing was she always had to be in front, that was the only way i kept her calm! Let me know how you get on.

Pardon? How is a group of horses going in different directions going to calm down a ned with a tendency to bog off! It would drive my girl mad and the only result would be an explosion as she tried ot work out who to follow.

Chill out! It worked for me, i didnt mean gather a group of 10 horses and bolt about a field its something she has to work up to. I also didnt say it would be easy. It seems to me if shes confident enough to canter with a group knowing shes going to go flat out then she should be confident enough to try that.

Mine runs away with me, did so three times over 1 1/2 mile stretches at the weekend. I have owned him 14 years, hes 19, I have come to the conclusion that he will never change. He does it through excitement and enthusiasm. Its not a bolt just a damn wont stop whilst its fun.

Fortunately he has a brain and stops if going dodgy, gate in the way, pedestrians or traffic!

I would not try to wind him up further by running him in company. The one time I tried this he went for 39 mins none stop before I pulled him up and i could never ride on the same stretch fo ground again. Mine has ER race ride background so he doesnt get slow as a concept!

I find the best thing with mine to maintain control is to go with the flow and actually push him into the bridle and retain steering , if i fight him I lose as hes stronger. Schooling makes no difference as he does a good controlled dressage test - hs just runs of in a balanced manner now! Sorry not helping your problems (if it is one), just trying to say it just happens with some horses so there you go!

newrider.com