boots?

Glenda

Jun 3, 2002
U.S.
I am going to take riding lessons next summer. I was wondering what kind of boots are best. On this message board people have talked about long boots and short boots and everything. What would be best for a new rider?

I would suggest buying some paddock boots (short boots with lacing, not jodphur boots) first before you look at long boots, such as dress boots or field boots. They are easier for your ankles to move around, it provides more flexibility. I strongly recommend buying paddock boots first though! Good luck!

I have got this type of boot called "muckers", I suppose they are like paddock boots. They don't lace up though, they are fastened with velcro. I wear them with half chaps, but I wouldn't buy chaps as well until you are certain that you want to carry on riding because it could get a bit expensive. Long boots are good too. You can get some very cheap ones which might be good to start off with and they are better than paddock boots in the winter, the mud won't go over the tops!!! I do have jodhpur boots as well but I find that I hardly ever use them, only at shows really.

Sorry, that probably wasn't much help!!

Emma

Short boots. You can get short jodphur style boots just about anywhere (like shoe shops instead of horse shops). For lessons (once a week?) they're perfectly adequate.

If you're starting out you want the least possible pressure on you - and I find that even something like 'wearing the gear' can do that to me (ok stupid but that's me). I'd rather wear leggings, T-shirt and a pair of cheap-ish short boots at first. Then you don't feel like such an imposter - or such pressure - gee I've just spent hundreds of pounds on this gear , now I'd better get good at it.... If you really get into it and enjoy yourself, then you'll have a better idea of what you fnd important and get a chance to see what others have, what they like and don't like about them - and save up to get what you want.

Eventually I bought myself some nice (Ariat) short boots and half-chaps they're great. But I also still use my original old cheapo boots and very occasionally gumboots to ride in (yes, I know gumboots are dangerous) when I need to 'do something different' to help solve a riding problem. So don't think you'll waste money by buying some cheapos first - you don't want to wreck your good stuff wading through mud.

Although its probably not worth going for an expensive boot to start off with, a purposely designed boot will make it easier for you to ride well:

In the UK a company called "loveson" make long riding boots called "chesters" (i think) for about 10 pounds, and their cheapest jodphur boot retail at about 15 pounds, and I have used both these products and found them hardwearing, and nice to ride in.

Hope that helps!

Rachel

Now I'm confused!

I suggest getting jodphur boots, as paddock boots can get caught in the sturrup if you fall off

My ariat paddock boots are made with the exact same heel as tall boots or any other boot specifically designed for english riding. Could it be that what we call paddock boots in the U.S. is different in the U.K.? If so, we're probably confusing the daylights out of poor Glenda!

By the way, I agree that it's better not to buy all of your equipment before you're sure you're going to continue riding. I started out with a borrowed hat (most schools have them), stretch pants (no jeans!), no half chaps or gloves, and a $10 pair of boots I got at Payless that had the right kind of sole and heel. Actually, the first real piece of equipment I bought is my hat, because it was just gross to think of how many heads had been in the school's hats before mine (ugh!)

I've always worn long rubber boots, but decided today to treat myself to mucker boots. They're lace-ups, so what I'm going to do is tie the laces tightly then tuck them up well out of the way. Long boots don't really give you much flexibility and I find that some jod boots can also be too tight around the ankle. However, these mucker boots are so incredibly comfortable, and are also designed for riding, so they're perfect! :D

Originally posted by Glenda
I am going to take riding lessons next summer. I was wondering what kind of boots are best. On this message board people have talked about long boots and short boots and everything. What would be best for a new rider?

Just to clear things up - have you had lessons before or are you starting from scratch?
The reason I ask, is that what might be best for you is that you don't go out and immediatly buy the equipment, only to find that you may have lost interest not long after starting (although I'm sure you won't! ;) ). If you do lose interest, then it might be a waste of money to go out buying equipment. So for the first couple of lessons, I'd suggest you use whatever you've got at hand and then once you're totally happy, start looking at what to buy.

Just for the record, I've found longboots to be very practical and not too expensive - my instructor even once commented that she reckoned that they improved my leg postion! (which is generally contrary to popular opinion around here!). At the end of the day, it'll be down to your own choice, but if at all possible try both short and long boots to see which suits you better :)

boots

as has already been said, i'd suggest not buying anything for a little while, until you decide whether riding is something you will continue with. that said, to start with, as long as it's a comfortable shoe with a slight heel (sorry, no spikes:D ) it should be sufficient... lots of luck:)

reply to Dice

I am starting from scratch. Unless you count a few times on a pony going around in a circle(which by the way now I think that is totally unfair to the pony). I do have some boots that I guess I could start out in untill I think I like it good enough to stick with it. Which I am sure I will. Thanks for your help.
Glenda.

newrider.com